We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ripleys aquarium

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Ripleys aquarium

Any one been? whats it like? how much does it cost? how long to walk through it? Does it compare in size to the Baltimore aquarium..

Kentucky
Level Contributor
444 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ripleys aquarium

I have been a couple of times. It is rated highly and I assume that it being located in a tourist destination helps get the rating. It is just as expensive as most other aquariums that I have visited. Not a cheap ticket by any means. It is one of the smaller aquariums that I have been in, which doesn't help in that the many tourist that visit MB often overcrowd it. Our closest Aquarium is in Newport, KY. and I don't think the one in MB is as nice as the Newport Aquarium. MB is much smaller and the exhibits are not close to being as nice. Just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree, but I'm afraid that if you have been to any of the nicer aquariums out there you may be disappointed.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ripleys aquarium

Bob T is correct. It does well because it is in a tourist area. Allow 1.5 hours maximum and that's if you walk very slow. It's cute but not meant to be anything like the bigger aquariums. I have not been to Baltimore but have been to Boston and Niagara Falls. Certainly nothing like Georgia Aquarium either. If you really love the aquarium experience and are prepared to pay top price then go.

https://tickets.ripleys.com/myrtle/

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ripleys aquarium

Ripleys Aquarium is very small and you can be in and out in an hour. The biggest draw is the Shark Tunnel where you walk through and the sharks swim overhead. IMO it is very expensive for the price and is much smaller than true Aquariums. Ripleys seems more of a tourist trap than a true aquarium. Other than the sharks, you have a large stingray area that gets very crowded, a kids play area, a few fish tanks, and usually a featured display or attraction. During the busy seasons the place is packed.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
233 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ripleys aquarium

Ripleys is family fun, but can't be compared to Baltimore or Boston aquariums (IMO). Great place to get out of the sun for an hour or two. The shark walk was worth the wait to get inside the front doors (45 minutes).

Kentucky
Level Contributor
444 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ripleys aquarium

Glad I'm the only one that doesn't think the Ripley Aquarium is that great. I just shake my head in disbelief when people rave about how good it is. Must be the only aquarium that a lot of people go to if they are overly impressed. The place is small and it doesn't have a huge amount of exhibits. If that is your only option for an aquarium then I guess it would be okay, but I would go elsewhere if available.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,695 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ripleys aquarium

We went one time, many years ago. At that time there was a special Titanic Exhibit there too. We all liked it very much, especially the walk thru tunnel with the fish swimming all around and above you. Can't say I would go back....once was enough. The NC Aquarium up in Ft. Fisher, NC (about two hr. drive or so away) is very nice. More hands-on I think. We have been to that one about 3 or 4 times.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ripleys aquarium

Never been to Baltimore, but have been to Atlanta, and I'd say it's comparable to that, but a bit smaller. It may not be world class, but it's nice, educational, and a lot of fun. I've been 2 or 3 times with my kids, and they really enjoy it and take their time and learn from exhibits. You can go through the tank and exhibits as many times as you like, I think, so you could easily spend half a day there.

Cost is $15 for kids and $23 for adults, which is a bit steep, IMO, but not too much to keep us away.

Hudson, OH
Level Contributor
46 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ripleys aquarium

I have taken the family twice over the years. I agree with the other posts, it is way to expensive for what it is. The shark tunnel is cool but if you are buying tickets for a family it can be upwards of $150 and that is for an hour of entertainment. You could spend that money on a nice boat trip (Murrells Inlet has lots of nice ones) and the kids will probably get to see some interesting things. At least you would get a nice half day of entertainment for your money.

Xenia, Ohio
Level Contributor
419 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ripleys aquarium

I would say if you have ever been to any Ripley's aquarium (Gatlinburg), I would pass on MB. Its not any different, at least to me. Unless you get a great deal on admission. Not sure if MB does it, but I remember Gatlinburg's Ripley's offered a free child admission with purchase of an adult. Maybe you can find a discount. That saves $20+ if you are taking children.

Paxton, Illinois...
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ripleys aquarium

The only thing that made the trip there worth it for our family was the mermaid show. Our 5 year old is in love with them and the joy on her face made the price worth it. However, it is a very crowded show. We couldn't believe the amount of people crowded in the room and that most of them didn't have any children in tow and didn't want to allow those that did to at least let the smaller ones get a better view. I would say if you have a fish lover younger child it is totally worth the crazyness you will encounter. If you are looking for a place to spend time out of the heat, go to Wonder Works. There is more to and one can spend hours in there if they try to experience it all.