We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

Pemberton, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

I am planning a trip to Myrtle Beach toward the end of August for my 21st birthday. I want this trip to be relaxing and a getaway but fun nonetheless. I've been doing some research but feel as if I need some help and ideas from people who've visited or are locals there. I think I've decided on where to stay; it will be a hotel/resort oceanfront so I will be close to the beach; I forget exactly which part of Myrtle Beach it's located at. My stay would be a total of 4-5 nights. I would like to explore the sights during the day and possibly induldge in the nightlife as well. I also plan to relax on the beach! I will be going with my sister and a few close friends (our group will have a total of 4-6 people ranging in age of 21-26). Since it is only January, I have plenty of time to save money but I would still like to keep things on a fair budget. I noted that Ripley's Aquarium would be pretty awesome to visit as well as some other museums. I love to explore and experience new places and things.

My question(s) to you guys are:

What are some interesting museums/activities to go to and do during the daytime that are well-worth the price?

What are the prettiest sights to see?

What are some of the best bars to go to? (I don't want to get plastered but I'd like to buy a couple brewskis since that's the thing to do when you're 21)

I love music so what are some of the best nightclubs to go to? (I saw Legends in Concert around the area - that would be pretty cool)

Anything else that I didn't mention, and you think would be fun/educational/relaxing, please feel free to post.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

One thing early on: a lot of resorts have a minimum age requirement so you might want the oldest one in your group to handle the reservations. Once you have a definite place, tell what it is and get recommendations that will be close to you.Myrtle Beach is VERY spread out.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

Many of your best bars will be at Broadway at the Beach. There are alot of bars,clubs & restaurants as well as attractions and shopping. it is a murt see in MB.Also check out Barefoot Landing which has alligator adveture ,etc. Also if you are looking for a short day trip check out Georgetown which has Cap't Rods boat tours and some nice restaurants with dockside seating. Of course you have Ripleys, The Boardwalk, Skywheel, Sling shot, etc all located near eachother. Have a great time.

Edited: 9:35 am, January 14, 2013
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

Yes, it would be helpful to know where you're staying, especially for nightlife suggestions. Besides B@B and Barefoot Landing, there's a few good happy hour spots downtown (Bumzz, Ocean Annie's & McAdoo's), and plenty else to do.

Anna, you and your group sound very mature for your age...not many 20-somethings I know would be wanting to go to museums at the beach. Unfortunately, MB isn't a museum mecca. The Ripley's one (separate from the aquarium) is generally not well recommended on this forum.

There is a "SC Hall of Fame" exhibit at the Convention Center (profiling important figures in SC's history), and also the B&C Museum in the south end (contemporary art), Both free.

www.myrtlebeachartmuseum.org

You may have to travel to find a good history museum (think Charleston, but much closer Georgetown is also worthwhile, and has a new maritime museum).

And closer yet, Brookgreen Gardens would cover history (it's a former rice plantation), arts (world class sculpture collection) and scenery (botanical gardens and nature preserve) in one very affordable stop (admission is good for a week). Huntington Beach SP across the street offers rustic coastal scenery.

And the Murrells Inlet Marshwalk combines scenery with a wide array of dining and happy hour choices.

If you're in the north end, Little River or Calabash docks are worth a dinnertime visit. And for scenery there's a Marshwalk at Alligator Adventure (Barefoot Landing behind House of Blues).

Edited: 10:24 am, January 14, 2013
Pemberton, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

My sister will be 26 so she`ll be the best one to book the stay. I knew I forgot something! Sorry about that. We`re thinking of staying at the Avista hotel/resort. It seems to be a decent place at a fair price, unless you guys know otherwise.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

You'll be in Nort MB which is a different area. Many people do like it because it is somewhat quieter and further removed from the attractions and larger crowds of MB. Good luck

Pemberton, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

Thanks guys, your answers are full of great ideas. I have read on another forum that NMB and MB are quite different. I think I would prefer quiet so that's good to know my location will be more relaxing. I will assume that the two are in close proximity ? If not, we don't have a problem driving.

Calabash, NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

We are locals and prefer NMB. Try Molly Darcy's for beer and wings outside on their patio overlooking the beach. It is an Irish bar. Nice happy hour. Or you could try Flynn's, another Irish bar on Main Street in NMB. Delicious food and outdoor patio. Have a fun trip and have a great birthday!

Pemberton, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

Thanks for the reply! Will definitely talk to my sister about all this - details of how many people going have changed. It might have to be a sisterly outing, which would also be a great bonding experience.

Sistersville, West...
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

The USS North Carolina battleship at Wilmington, NC is an interesting attraction. It would be an hour drive or a little more from North Myrtle, but definitely a historical experience.

10. Re: What to do in Myrtle Beach, SC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach