We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior Week

Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Senior Week

Need help from a local. My son and his friends are looking to travel to MB for senior week. Since he's my only child, I have zero experience in these types of trips. He showed me a flyer from a "tour" company down there for a house. They are asking like $4k for the week. A simple Google search has this house renting for $1600/week prime season. Can anyone explain the difference? I would expect some differential but not that much. Also, while the company touts its past history renting to students, I'm surprised that their contract stares that each parent is 100% liable (severable). Is this also normal? If so, why get 10 contracts? Thanks

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Senior Week

Before you get bombarded with a lot of answers it would be best for you to type in senior week in the search box above. You may also want to read "Need a place that will rent to under 21 year olds for Senior Week" in Top Questions About Myrtle Beach. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Senior Week

Did that. Thanks Nothing relevant.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Senior Week

Well...whats the name of the "tour" company??

Here is a link to a past thread about one company.

tripadvisor.com/…33645249

Also....Be very careful about renting a house for Senior Week. (unless you will be staying there too) I'd stick with a hotel if I were you.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Senior Week

Go to funbeaches.com and take a look at their message board. They have a section just for senior week that maybe helpful.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Senior Week

Sorry you are having difficulty getting answers. I can only guess that the reason the rate is so high for under 21 year olds is historically that is an age group that statistically has a higher instance of damage. That doesn't mean that your child will be one to damage anything. It's just that a group of young people without adult supervision can sometimes create an environment where things quickly get out of hand.

Your best bet is to call the tour company directly and get your information first hand from them. As far as the liability issue that will be something you will need to speak to them about and read any contracts before signing.

And try funbeaches. But also call and speak to someone directly before proceeding. We hear all to often on this forum what can happen. I hope you find something that will fit your needs.

oh
Level Contributor
52 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Senior Week

I have a little experience with this......there is a company that will rent to high school students ......I will try to get the name for you.....what I remember is the kids had to put down a fair amount for their security deposit and of course the company kept most of it and returned very little of it. A couple of the parents were actually present when the kids checked out and said the house was definitely left clean, yet the company kept at least $600 more dollars than they should have. I think "a parent" had to sign the lease also.

Another comment about senior week, there were about 20 kids in our group...and about five of them were the "drivers" and drove the other kids to Myrtle Beach. Thus, the five drivers became responsible for being taxi cab drivers for the other kids all week long. This became a problem at times. It also put a huge responsibility on the drivers.....there is a lot of traffic in MB and it is scary to have young drivers out at dark in unfamiliar territory. Our group stayed about a mile off the beach so it meant driving to the beach and just about everywhere they needed to go. I highly suggest that you pay the extra money and stay on the beach. That way the kids can come and go as they please and aren't relying on the driver all the time. Also, try to stay where there are a couple restaurants within walking distance. This will take a lot of pressure off the drivers.

Let's just say it was a looooooong week for the parents and we were all happy when the kids got home safely.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Senior Week

Thanks. Let me know if you find the info.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Senior Week

Book directly thought a hotel, you will have to keep in mind that most of the hotels will not rent to anyone under 25 without written consent wavers from you, and a vary large cash deposit. Approximately 500.00 in cash to be held ( in some cases) this is released back to your son at check-out, as long as the room rented has no damage. My suggestion is to look at a few hotels in Myrtle Beach. Get an idea from your son what they want to be close to, such as the downtown area where the old Pavilion use to be. and search hotel through TripAdvisor. Be prepared that you may get some very crude "no's" when inquiring about renting during senior week.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Morganton, North...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Senior Week

Did you ever find a place? My son & 3 friends are graduating in June & want to go to Myrtle Beach for senior week as well. I personally want him to get a hotel (preferably with a kitchen/kitchenette to allow some in-room, less expensive meals) that's within walking distance of beach & most attractions to reduce driving in that crowded unfamiliar area, but it is tough to ascertain which will rent to 18yo for a reasonable rate & that is a decent, clean, safe place to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
10. Re: Senior Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 07, 2014