We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

IL
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

My family has vacationed in Myrtle Beach the last 4 summers, and I am torn on what to do next summer. Do we try somewhere new or go to MB again? We stay in the Kingston Plantation area and just love everything about that area. I was thinking Panama City Beach? Never been there before. I want to try something new, but don't want to be disappointed. Any Suggestions??

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

Any thoughts of Disney World, like staying their Beach Club Villas? With kids that age, that would be non-stop activities, tiki bars, etc. We also like Kidani Village, stayed last year, and they have tiki bar at pool - so much to do. We are planning a reunion in Myrtle Beach only because several in family say can not afford Disney this year, where we usually meet up with our kids.

We have taken breaks from WDW, do a drive over to beach to watch sunset at Clearwater FL, sink toes in the powdery sand. It's about 2 hr drive. We also drove other coast for break from WDW (shorter drive) - Daytona & Port Canaveral, & the beaches in those areas not very nice though. We really love Clearwater Beach though.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

There are also other areas in SC that you could consider. Hilton Head Island, Folly Beach, the Isle of Palms. The latter 2 are very close to historic downtown Charleston, which has lots of options of things to see and do. It was just recently rated at the number one city in the world to visit. More options to consider. :-)

Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

Since the late 70's, my wife and I have taking our kids, now our grown kids and our grandsons to both MB and PCB. Both are very family-oriented and beautiful in their own right. As has already been described, the beaches are very different. PCB might have sea-grass, but, the waves at MB can be very strong. MB has more family entertainment spots such as Broadway at the Beach, Dixie Stampede, Medieval Times, etc. Both have water-parks, go-carts, goofy golf, etc.. Kingston Plantation has always been our home-away-from-home in MB. We have stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel, high-rise condos, town-homes, and lately, the Royal Palms attached to the Hilton. IMO, the only resort comparable to KP would be the gated community of Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. It is located in Sandestin about 25 miles west of PCB. It has numerous beachfront and bayfront lodging options including a Hilton Hotel. Don't think it offers as many kid activities as KP. There are three very nice golf courses on site. Premium Outlet mall very close as is other shopping centers, restaurants, etc..

If u consider PCB, look online at Aqua Resort, a very family-oriented beachfront condo complex. It is located in the middle of PCB very close to Pier Park, a new commercial shopping/dining complex anchored by Belk, Dillard's, Target, and now under construction, a new super Walmart. Also, consider The Calypso beachfront resort, directly across the road from Pier Park. Historically, we have found that lodging in MB is slightly higher for a 7 night stay during peak season than similar PCB lodging. When our grandsons were the same age as your kids, they enjoyed MB very much. Now, at ages 18 and 15, they enjoy PCB much better. Both are great, enjoy your summer vacation and many many more to come.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
552 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

Hi, just thought I'd weigh in... We used to go to MB a couple of times per year every year, then someone turned us on to the Gulf Coast. We first started staying in PCB, then discovered Destin, we have never returned to MB or PCB. The things that I hated about MB from the past were the ridiculous amount of traffic, having to eat dinner at 4:00 or 4:30 so as to not have to wait a couple of hours to get dinner and every single time we went, whether it was May, June, July, August or September (I told you we went many times!) we had at least 2 days that were almost rain outs! With all that said, yes Destin is getting crowded but not nearly as crowded as MB, we have gone the past 3 years to Destin for Spring Break and absolutely loved it, the crowds were a non issue. It is very confusing and you don't want to waste precious vacation time and money, so if you need any advice on Destin I would be happy to help, but if you are happy with MB, don't let anyone spoil it for you, go for the reasons that you love it for!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

I go to MB 3-4 times a year. I LOVE it there, especially with kids. I have been to PCB 3 Spring Breaks in a row. The beach is beautiful but there just isn't much to do there. I couldn't even find a comedy club there (which is one of my favortie things to do) MB has so much to offer for kids. I am going to go to Gulf Shores this coming Spring Break though. I thought I would try something different. I hear it is beautiful there and really nice for kids. I hope this is true. I just don't think anything compares to MB. It's my home away from home.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

Basketscrapper, you will not find the shows and same type of excitement and activities you are used to in Myrtle Beach at Gulf Shores. It has beautiful beaches, outdoor activities for kids (amusement and water parks, a zoo, hiking & biking trails etc.) and a decent selection of restaurants, but Gulf Shores is basically a sleepy little beach town. On the positive side, there are many nice condos with indoor heated pools which are great for a Spring Break trip with the family. We love both Myrtle Beach and Gulf Shores, but they are very different places.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

AlBeachFan, I know it's gonna be hard to top MB. I would much rather go there everytime..lol. But we go so much that my kids are getting burnt out so I thought I would try something different. MB is my "home" though. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it there.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

I'd also suggest the Outer Banks. The small towns have a nice, quaint, rustic feel while other areas like Nags Head, Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills offer convenience to attractions and many restaurants. No area is quite like Myrtle Beach. There are no high rise hotels or condos. Most lodgings are only a couple of stories tall with a prominence of "mom and pop" style motels and beach houses. That doesn't speak to quality as much as it does to architecture and atmosphere. The water can be a little cooler than Myrtle, but still comfortable. I enjoyed Myrtle, but also appreciated the difference in the Outer Banks. Definitely worth a look.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
432 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

I think it all depends on what you like to do on vacation. We are a bunch that likes to stay busy during vacation and MB allows us to always find something to entertain us. I guess that's why we keep it as our annual trip regardless of any other trips we make. I'm the type that kind of gets bored just sitting around and doing the same thing every day, so beach towns that offer little outside of the actual beach doesn't appeal to me. I don't mind going down for a couple of days to a place like Destin,, but if going for a week I want to go to a place that offers something other than just a beach.

Keep in mind that we are a family that spends only 3 or 4 hours a day on the beach when on vacation, so beach not the only highlight of our trip. We have a group of friends that have switched from MB to Destin. They were they type that spent 8 hours a day on the actual beach. Their day consisted mostly of laying at the ocean and going out to eat and then a repeat . They love Destin, because it's pretty much good for what they want.

Edited: 10:47 am, November 11, 2012
Carrollton, GA
Level Contributor
584 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Vacationed in MB last 4 summers-Should I try somewhere new??

What do u mean when u say "my kids are getting burnt-out?" In your posts, you describe your needs as beachfront, tiki bar, programs for children, walking distance to pier, outlet malls, etc. Isn't these needs what you already have at KP in MB? I am trying to determine what new and different needs u are seeking. Is it just a change in venue? If so, as I stated in an earlier post, I would consider The Aqua Resort or Calypso Resort in PCB. I find beachfront lodging options much better in PCB than Destin. Just my opinion. I like to eat in Destin, but, don't like to fight the traffic and crowds during peak season.