We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Geography

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
The Geography

Never been to MB and am trying to figure out the layout.

Let me see if I've got this right:

Starting from the South

1) Garden City

2) Surfside

3)Myrtle Beach state park.

4) Airport and Springmaid Beach

5) South Avenues 29th thru 20th

I'm thinking this area may be quieter than:

6) South Avenues 19th thru 1st

(Is this the busiest section?)

7) North Avenues 3 thru 30

This looks like resort land and the properties seem of varied quality?

8) N 30th thru 52nd. Residential

9) 52nd to Porcher and Calhoun mix of resorts and residential. Lots of condo rentals here? Quieter here?

10 68th thru 77th

More resorts, are these maybe at the higher end?

Mature couple (but not dead yet). we like to walk on the beach, eat well but not fine dining, Lively bars with music but no college drunks. Shopping.

So - where do we stay? (condo or suite)

Pep

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Geography

What time of year are you looking to travel? I am not a big fan of the southern end of MB. You will see rundown, abandoned motels and the surrounding neigborhood is not nearly as nice.

Edited: 9:33 am, October 10, 2012
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Geography

Probably mid - September

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Geography

Mid Sept is my favorite time of year to visit MB. The crowds are way down and the weather are water temps are great. Depending on budget you should look at The Anderson which will allow you to walk to Bars, restaurants, attractions and place you very close to Broadway at the Beach. It is more geared for adults. If you like to be somewhat further removed take a look at Isand Vista which is not within walking distance to much of anything but it's a beautiful resort. Also royal Palms is an oustanding resort close to North MB. It depends what you are looking for but these are 3 of the nicer resorts in MB.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
347 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Geography

We stay in the Surfside / Garden Beach area and love it. It's not run down like the south end of MB. If I was going mid-Sept. when it wasn't as crowded I would stay in a nice section of Myrtle Beach proper (not NMB). I enjoy the Surfside area during peak season because it nice and not quite as crowded. You shouldn't be dealing with huge crowds, so pretty much make your choice on location close to the activities that you enjoy.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Geography

My vote for best area is anywhere from your #8 thru #10. It is a bit quieter, nicer area but still very convenient to everything. And, you say.."more resorts, maybe these are higher end". Not necessarily. Higher end resorts are mixed in everywhere in the Grand Strand area. (as are the lower, cheaper, not so nice hotels) The Anderson is nice and does get recommended on here a lot.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Geography

Thanks lenk, the Anderson looks real nice. So is the area around there busy? I think the other two resorts look a little remote for us.

Thanks BobT, which area of MB proper would you consider nice?

Pep

Kentucky
Level Contributor
347 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Geography

Captain, MB is pretty much a driving city, so it all depends on what type of resort you are looking for.. There are some nice resorts around the Dayton House area, which is pretty much on the northern end of MB proper. Not sure which Avenues that would be because we usually don't stay in that area, but we drove down ocean blvd. a couple of times last year and saw some really nice resorts. If you are looking to walk to some places I would locate the activities that I wanted to do and then choose a hotel based on that. There are nice hotels scattered up and down the coast and if walking is a priority choose a hotel on that. Broadway has a lot of nightlife and if you are wanting to stay on the beach, then plan on driving to activities there. Not been out on the boardwalk yet, but you might find some nightlife in that area if you want to stay near there. Wouldn't recommend that area during peak season, but may be okay during Sept.

Edited: 3:52 pm, October 10, 2012
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Geography

Thanks Bob. The search continues but at least I have plenty of time.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Geography

Every one here has their own opinion as to "best". We have been regulars, 5or more trips per year, for 15 years now. We find the area around Surfside / Garden City to our liking. It puts us right in the middle of things from Broadway At The Beach to The Market Common to Murrells Inlet and in those arenas we can find all we want or need and have plenty of beach to walk for miles in either direction with no problem areas. The only problem is that like most all of MB, there is not a lot of entertainment/restaurants in easy walking distance. Driving is required

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Geography

Captain, I vote for #10 on your list. Very nice area of beachfront hi-rises surrounded by tree-lined residential neighborhoods. As Beachlady says, these various resorts are not necessarily "hi-end," at least not price-wise. We like Long Bay, and it's a good value. Very nice property and amenities, but the rooms can be hit or miss. Their sister resort next door I believe has nicer rooms if that's an issue, and you could use the facilities at both.

If you are willing to walk 2-4 blocks or so (each way), there are a variety of good restaurants and watering holes, as well as shopping, but you will also probably want to drive to Barefoot Landing and Restaurant Row (both nearby).

A good choice for a "lively bar" is Liberty Taproom, with inside & outside areas. For a dressy splurge dinner, Collector's Cafe is very close.

Anderson is very nice, but it's "downtown." Doesn't sound from your post that you would need to stay in that area when you can drive there anytime you want. As nana says, ou will certainly need the car from time to time.