We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NJ Turnpike..

Aberdeen, New Jersey
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
NJ Turnpike..

Please give me a different route to take instead of the NJ Turnpike..I am leaving from Lacey Township..

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,476 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NJ Turnpike..

Might want to post this in the NJ forum.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NJ Turnpike..

If you really want to avoid the NJ turnpike then you could take Rt 70 cross over turnpike and get onto 295 south which is where the turnpike ends up anyway. If you time it right the turnpike shouldn't be an issue.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NJ Turnpike..

I have never had an issue with the NJ Tpke on the way down.

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
360 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NJ Turnpike..

I love the turnpike. It gets me through NJ in no time. I've made the trip bypassing the turnpike and it sucked. The turnipike is worth every penny in tolls.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NJ Turnpike..

If you have tons of time to enjoy traveling, you can take the GSP to Cape May and the ferry across to Delaware, avoiding the NJ Turnpike entirely. Once in Delaware, travel down the eastern shores of DE and MD, and over the beautiful Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel into Virginia. You rejoin I-95 in VA, south of Richmond.

In any case, the real problem with I-95 is through DC between Baltimore and Richmond ... not in NJ.

new jersey
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NJ Turnpike..

The infamous truck/car lane merge around exit 8 is a source of headaches for many travlers. It is currently undergoing a much needed expansion, having said that, this compounds to the delay.

As another poster said, if time is not the essence, take the GSP and take the Cape May ferry. You can also bypass the DC traffic by this route --going through Dleaware.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NJ Turnpike..

Depending on where you're leaving from, if you're taking the DELMARVA/CBBT route, taking the ferry might actually save some time, or be a wash, if you time your arrival. If traveling on a busy summer weekend or holiday, you may want to make a reservation.

But what you will need is plenty of money, especially if you have extra passengers. Might want to check the fares in advance to avoid needing CPR at check-in.

We used to use it a lot, but it just got too expensive.

8. Re: NJ Turnpike..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 04, 2013