We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

Love, love, love Myrtle Beach. We were there in July and I'm already planning next year's trip. We're right outside Cleveland and it is about an 11 hour trip to MB. Ocean City would be around 9 hours. My questions is: have any of you who love MB also been to Ocean City, MD? If so, how is it in comparison? Which would you recommend?We have college-age and high school kids and would be going in July. Thanks.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

Ocean City's Boardwalk has more as far as traditional hangouts because it's been around a lot longer than Myrtle's Boardwalk. It's been years since I was in Ocean City but at the time I remember thinking I love Myrtle but it would be nice if they had a boardwalk and now they do. The beach area at Myrtle is nicer in my opinion and the water is definitely a lot warmer. There's more shopping in Myrtle and the Grand Strand area is a larger and nicer area. IMO if Myrtle is only 2 hours longer to drive , then go back to Myrtle.

Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

We're less then 3 hours from OC. OC is a great weekend getaway IMO. We go to Myrtle almost every summer for the past 10 years.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

Ocean City's Boardwalk has lot more to offer as far as hotels, places to eat, entertainment, shopping, etc along one long stretch on the Boardwalk. You could park your car for several days and just enjoy what the Boardwalk has to offer. The beaches seem a bit wider also. MB offers a lot more, but spread out. The food and shopping is outstanding and you have a lot more entertainment to chose from. Hotel and resorts choices have a huge range for anyone's wallet. For the couple more hours, I always would go with Myrtle Beach!!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

We went to Ocean City ONCE years and years ago, then discovered Myrtle Beach, our return destination yearly (sometimes twice a year) for over 25 years now. That being said, Ocean City could have changed a lot since we were there, as has MB over all these years. We live much closer to OC than MB, but we would rather drive the longer distance to MB. We felt that there was so much more to do and see in MB, and the shopping is really great there, too.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

I really like OC and have been going there for quite some time. We always stay on the Boardwalk which is much nicer,longer,bigger then MB. The beach is also wider ,however, as for things to do there is no comparision. MB has way more to offer and keep you busy. The accomodations in MB are better and somewhat less expensive. We would stay at the Holiday Inn All Suites on the Boardwalk or the Hilton just north of the Boradwalk and you get a nice but small unit with 1 bedroom, galley kichen, large bath and samll living room, in season about $400 per night. Memorial Weekend about $289 per night. We made a decision to purchase in MB for these reasons and the weather is nicer for a much longer period of time. If you want golf, shows, restaurants and attractions then MB rates higher. If you want just beach and Boardwalk then OC is a great choice.

Edited: 2:06 pm, August 23, 2012
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

Hello! I have been to both many times and currently i be in me mid 30s i enjoy the myrtle beach area more. Ocean City is nice and all but i feel like an old dude going there. It seems like OC is better suited for dudes in their 20s and teenagers. I think your kids would have a better time in OC cause everything be kinda close together and they got that bus to take them wherever they wanna go.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

Been to Ocean City once with family and never been back. Been to Myrtle more times than I can remember. Myrtle has much,much more to offer.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

Living in Md, we are about 3 hours from Ocean City. We much prefer Myrtle Beach area over Ocean City. MB is a 9 hour drive for us but is well worth it. I've always thought the Boardwalk in OC was kind of seedy and run down - not really an attraction to us at all. Accomodations are much more expensive in OC compared to MB. I think part of the reason for this is that OC is so much smaller than the Grand Strand and OC's proximity to the DC area make it a popular vacation destination. Additionally, the water at the shore in MD is cold. (turn your foot blue cold in July). No thanks! There are so many more good restaurants in the MB area that serve great fresh seafood. I seem to remember alot of pizza places and pancake houses in OC. Not that OC is a bad place, but the MB area is a much better vacation value and IMO worth the extra time to get there.

6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

Not sure how u get to MB in 11 hours from Cleveland. I live I'm Akron and go to ocean city every year. It is a good 12 plus hours to MB for us and we should be an hour closer than u. We honestly go to OC because of distance and being able to park the car for a week and walk to everything. Water was great in OC this July but I have to agree that it is much warmer further south u go. Trade off for us is distance! Hope u enjoy the beach either place u chose!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Myrtle Beach or Ocean City

Thanks everyone! MB it is. Now I get to start planning for next year.

Mully23, we actually made it from Strongsville, OH to MB in 10 hours and 32 minutes. I used a route that I got from AAA and it was great. I'm more than happy to share with anyone who'd like it. I just typed it up yesterday.