We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea shells

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sea shells

where can we collect the best sea shells? Were staying at surfside beach and I find a lot of broken shells.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sea shells

Try the very southside of Myrtle Beach State Park.

Newark, Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sea shells

i'd definitely say that the MB area is not known for it's seashells. You will find a lot of broken ones most of the time. However, I have found many beautiful shells but they take some time to find. There are also a lot of sharks teeth that you can find quite often. The best time that i have found to search is real early in the morning when high tide is receding. That is when i find the majority of the nice shells. Good luck!! =)

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sea shells

I agree that shelling is pretty much hit and miss around here. The two state parks are probably your best bet nearby. If you're open for something a little different, you might check out Lowcountry Plantation Tours, out of Georgetown. They do a fun boat tour out to North Island, also known as Shell Island. There's no guarantees, but most times, the beach's island is covered with a variety of shells. We have gone a number of times with visitors, and they've always come back well-loaded. The tour is very highly rated by TA reviews, the #1 ranked thing to do in Georgetown.

http://www.lowcountrytours.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g54245-Activitie…

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sea shells

all good advice above.

Shelling is a serious sport in MB....you need to check the tide tables and get out there early. You are competing against seasoned pros (with equipment!).

A few years ago, I was able to walk the beach and find dozens of olive shells (the ones that look like rolled up cigars), But the last few visits, I found almost none. Either they are not as plentiful, or I'm being beat out by the more serious collectors.

As the eminently knowledgeable PawleysDude says, taking a boat outing will greatly increase your odds. A little further south, Bull Island also can be a treasure trove for shells. Anywhere that's not "overworked" will yield better results. If you're staying in the south end, try walking down past Springmaid.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
851 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sea shells

I've stayed all over the Grand Strand and the only place I've been able to find decent shells is the Cherry Grove beach area.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sea shells

After many trips over 15 years, by far the most and best shells I have found was on the trip to the lighthouse and barrier island on Cap'n Rods Low Country Tours. People who have made this trip seem to get off the boat and immediately walk as far down the island as they can to get in an area where not too many have already been looking. Don't go too far though as the boat only stays there for a little over an hour.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sea shells

Some of the best shells we ever found were by the Springmaid Pier, but we've never gone to the state parks. We collected a lot of crab claws and parts by Springmaid also.

southern ontario
Level Contributor
904 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sea shells

I found a good sized conch shell on Pawley's Island and lucky for me the creature inside had already left.

Otherwise, I find the shelling to be quite disappointing in the area. But I love it anyway! Can't wait till October when we return for the month.

Aiken, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sea shells

www.discovermyrtlebeach.com/forum/index.php…

this is what i believe destroyed shelling and shark tooth hunting in MB.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sea shells

We were staying at The Caribbean and my wife went for a walk in the late afternoon and headed south towards the 14th ave pier. She found a most magnificent fully intact shell that we have now placed on a small table as a centerpiece. the color and size were great and we couldn't believe it, it was the first time she ever noticed anything like it.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach
Recent Conversations