We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any jellyfish yet?

Owings, Maryland
Level Contributor
59 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Any jellyfish yet?

This is the one question my teenage girls are asking already. We are from Maryland and they get really bad in the Chesapeake Bay. We have all experienced stings. We are heading to MB on Saturday and I was just wondering if there were any jellyfish sightings? That is, the kind that sting.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

We were there last week and did not see the first one. Not even washed up on the beach. Whenever we do see one it is almost always the kind with no long tentacles that sting.

Owings, Maryland
Level Contributor
59 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

Yay! Thank you so much for responding! The girls will be thrilled! Yes, as long as it's not the stinging kind, the kids pick the others up with their hands.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
822 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

I have been going to MB on and off since 2001. I am a huge fan of swimming and using a boogie board in the ocean. I have not gotten stung once. You will see Jellyfish since they are part of the ocean environment as well as other sea creatures. You cannot do anything about it, but try and avoid them. You may have periods where the surf and winds are blowing in from an offshore storm that may result in more sea life near shore. Just use your eyes and keep a heads up at all times.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

I'm in Garden City this week and have seen no jellyfish. I was stung today and Tuesday by baby jellyfish (sea lice) or something... (it itches and swells a bit, then goes away after an hour or so.)

FYI - I have sensitive skin... no one else in my family ever gets stung and I am stung every year it seems...

Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

I am at the beach now and no sign of anything but heat and sunshine!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
381 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

We were there the week after Memorial day and I saw a couple washed up on the beach the first day but none the rest of the week.

Owings, Maryland
Level Contributor
59 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

Well, I am happy to report that last week at the beach, there was no sign of any jellyfish at all. The water was refreshing and fabulous!

New Tripoli...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

Leaving Myrtle Beach tomorrow. There is jellyfish now. My 2 daughters and myself were stung. But the water is so nice you have to go in. Didn't see any but heard quite a few people were stung. Lifeguards had the flags up to warn of them.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

Check out the wpde, wbtw, or wmbf tv stations(not sure what channel I was watching this evening) 68th Ave N. in MB. Probably won't say anything in the newspaper as they are 100% controlled by chamber/mayor and will not report anything negative. I did not realize there WAS a swimming advisory for Garden City until I read it had been lifted till I read about it today. Anyway many dozens of dead fished washed onshore today, flounder, quite a few sting rays and noone has a good answer. They showed pictures no bites nor trauma. Apparently something similar to "red tide" which if its harmful to fish, you got to think its harmful to people. If going this week check with lifeguards (although they probably won't tell truth like many agencies in area) we don't want to scare tourists. Just check it out and be aware.

Edited: 6:42 pm, August 17, 2012
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any jellyfish yet?

AND If its August it's time for jellyfish.