We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

Our family is looking for a vacation on the beach in January of 2013. We're wondering if there is any surfing in the Myrtle Beach area. If not, can you please suggest an area in the Carolina's that we should be considering. As far as the surfing goes, we're all beginners so we don't need huge waves just easy to moderate ones. Ideally, we'd like to stay on the beach and have other things to do nearby. Our family consists of my husband and I and our two boys:18 and 8.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

SOrry I'm nota surfing person so I can't help you but surf boards are prohibited in certain areas of Myrtle Beach between the hours of 10am and 5 pm. So keep that in mind if you are not surifing with an instructor.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

If you have your own equipment and wetsuits you can surf on Folly Beach, just outside of Charleston.

If you are wanting instruction, you'll probably have to wait until warmer weather. Some of the "pros" head further south for the winter.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

We don't have our own equipment. We just rent from surf shops on the days we want to surf. We usually vacation in Southern California but want to visit a beach area/town on the east coast of the USA for our next family vacation. Are we better off looking at Florida (west or east) or the Carolina's for surfing?

In the meantime, I'll look into Folly Beach. Thanks for your help.

Edited: 11:39 am, March 10, 2012
georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

Unless the offshore weather is conducive, the waves are pretty small most of the time in MB. Water is very cold then too, wet suits would be a must have item. IMO if you really want to surf in January, you need to go further south. But, unless surfing is an absolute must for this trip, I still recommend MB as one of the best vacation destinations around for all ages.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

I don't normally think of surfing and Myrtle Beach going together. Waves just are not that great....unless there is a storm out at sea. It won't be like California waves. January water will be very cold! Florida will be warmer for sure, but I would think waves would be about the same. (The whole East coast is not the best for surfing.) WInd surfing, maybe....and lots of boogie boarding though.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

Surfing is a must for us. We're used to wearing wet suits. The pacific is always cold in Socal. As far as the wave height goes, we are novices, so small waves (3 feet-ish) are ok.

We're hoping for a family beach vacation in late January with warm weather (70's), a little surfing/boogie boarding, and some shelling. We'd also like to be in an area that has other interesting things to see and do besides the beach/and or activities that are with-in an hour's drive from our accommodations.

Florida is not on our list of places to visit. We've been there countless times in the past. But thank you for the suggestion.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

"Normally" SC is not 70's on a daily basis in January.

Folly Beach would be okay, look up the Washout. You would definitely need wetsuits.

There is plenty to do in the Charleston area, look to the Charleston Forum and you'll find lots of information.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

Gabba, I'm going to give it to you straight:

You'll likely be waiting all week for a surfable wave in January...and probably also for temps in the 70's. You really need to rethink your destination.

Best wishes...

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

Highly suggest you go MUCH further south to find 70 degrees in January, maybe Florida Keys. For surfing, I suggest entirely different part of the country. Surfing is not Myrtle Beach's strong suit by any means.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surfing in Myrtle Beach or area?

When I started to look into visiting South Carolina the tourism sights all mentioned surfing as an activity. Folly Beach would seem to fit the bill. There is a surf shop with rentals, "The Washout" and there are also surfing competitions held there yearly. A few people on this thread also suggested Folly Beach. So I think that while there may be surfing, it won't be anything spectacular. Which is fine, we're still beginners... As far as the temps go, would it be unreal to expect anywhere from the low to mid 60's? Unfortunately, late January-mid February are the slow times for my husbands business so that's really the only time we can get away during the year for a couple of weeks. We really have done Florida so many times that we're just plain not interested in going back again. Besides, my sister lives in St. Pete so I do get out there now and then for short visits. Surfing is not the only activity we are interested in. It's just a small part but having said that, my husband is "hooked" and wants it to be included in our time away. My sons, 7 & 18, are happy to boogie board so as long as there is some kind of wave action, we should be ok.

If we do decided to visit South Carolina, I have it narrowed down to Folly Beach, Isle of Palms, Hilton Head, or Myrtle Beach. I want to rent a 2 bedroom place, with parking, on the beach front or very nearby. I don't want to be too close to the commercial and touristy areas though. Ideally, we'd have a view of the water, be able to park the car and walk to shops and restaurants nearby. Does anyone have any suggestions? Folly Beach seems to be a bit more low key from what I read. Is that correct? If so, that would be a definite plus! While reading some of the questions posted on this forum, there seems to be a lot of mention for "under 21"s. Could it be because it's spring break time or is it a big destination for college age kids all year round? If so, any need for concern in any areas? As far as our budget goes, I'd like to keep it under $250.00 per night. Does this sound ok or should I budget more $$?

Thanks again for everyone's input!