We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Almost Heaven West...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

There is an area beside (south) of the Bay Watch Resort that has old rundown motels from many years back. They really look bad like they could fall down at anytime.

Does anyone know the story behind this area? Like why hasn't the owner of this property been made to tear it down and why hasn't someone developed any of this area?

Just wondering and thought someone that lived local would know something about this area.

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

Probably waiting for the right price? Money in the bank!

mbsc
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

The area is know as "Atlantic Beach" a seperate town with a mayor and everthing it is also only 4 blocks in any direction and is notably one of the few only remaining places in america that are considered "Historicly Black" onlyoriginally beinga segregated community and currently choosing to remain that way, feel free to look up more info on the place, I live here in mB and thats the only reason i know, Heck even the police are required to wear badges that say The "Blkack Pearl" on them.... anyway hope it answers your question

Almost Heaven West...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

trikyrickk,

Thanks for the info!!!

I have been wondering about that area since our first visit to Baywatch. I just couldn't believe that someone hadn't put something on that piece of property. I'm surprised that someone hasn't at least built a house there, or some big resort hasn't bought some of it.

Do you know where I can look up some of that info. your are talking about?

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

I did not realize Bay Watch was right beside Atlantic Beach,SC.

mbsc
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

Try Google and type in Atlantic Beach, Sc or Historic All Black Beach/ Town History should get you a few links to the area, or contact the chamber of comerece in say Myrtle beach or NMB, they can get you some basic info as well the local Chamber has its on version as well in Atlantic Beach but it has a much rosier veiw of the issues, gotta love politics and spin. anyway You can also check out crime stats and other useful info on WWW.southcarolinalawenforcementdivision.gov or Sled.com both should show basic info and population of the area.

The town just lost some major lawsuits that prevented the new construction as well as having 2 or 3 people removed from the town council who appointed themselves and have never been elected that were stopping development in the town. There is supposed to be developers who are moving into the area now to put some infastructer in and try and change the town . Also If you have been to bay watch or crecent beach the Ocen Drive is bloceked at both sides to Atlantic Beach to prevent passage into the town the only entraces are located at hwy 17 on 32 thru 29 aves. The fence Lines and baracades were put up by either AB Or Nmb back in the 60's during segregation, and depending on who you ask they still remain that way today because of it "historic Reminders" But the state may be Forcing them to be destroyed to allow emergency vehicles better acces between crecent Beach Atlantic Beach and NMB. If you are interested in buying low cost property now would be a good time to look into buying into the town as in less than 10 years it will likly tripple in value once they create a stable infastructure and clean up the major problems prevelant in the area. Hope all this helps a little.

Almost Heaven West...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

Thanks!!!

All that info was very helpful. I found some more information on dogpile.com

I've always wondered about that area and now I finally know...LOL

Thanks again trikyrickk.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
296 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

We stayed at the Baywatch Resort last summer. We also wondered why the buildings were falling down in the Atlantic Beach area and why no one was out on the beach in that area. This information is so interetsing to me. Just wondering...would you say the Baywatch Resort is in a safe area to vacation in?

mbsc
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cresent Beach...Bay Watch Resort?

Overall The Bay Watch Is in an Ok Area they have 2 Security Officers Overnight and the hotel itself is in the city of North Myrtle Beach, But it is Located beside The Atlantic Beach line and Atlantic Beach is defintly not a safe place, Drugs and prostitution abound, you wont read that in any phamplets however. AB only has a Part Time Police Dept (supposedly They cant afford Officers to patrol the area 24/7 so they have to wait for county police to respond and due to the relations between the 2 town's AB and NMB NMB is very resistant to respond to calls even though they are right there not to mention the politics of officially not being Officers outside of their jurisdictions, and AB does not have an emergency Services unit avail so they also come from out in the county. The Hotel itself is ok and has nice amenities but service is lacking overall and considering the hotel is only 4 years old time has not been kind to it. Hope that is helpful