We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does Restaurant.com work?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
297 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
How does Restaurant.com work?

I'm wondering if someone can explain to me how restaurant.com works. For example, you can get a $25 gift certificate for $10 but it says you have to spend at least $35. Is that $35 including the certificate or do you have to spend the $35 AFTER the gift certifcate, say $60?

We got a certificate on here last year and then when we got to the restaurant, they wouldn't accept it so I didn't get to find out how to use it.

Thanks!

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does Restaurant.com work?

We use them frequently and have never had a bad experience. If you run into a restaurant that no longer accepts them, restaurant.com makes it very easy to exchange the certificate for a different restaurant.

When a restaurant states "minimum of $35", that includes the certificate. Your food bill must total $35, not including taxes and tip. For example, if your food bill totaled $40 and you had a $25 certificate, you would owe them $15 plus tax and tip calculated on the $40 bill.

Most restrictions say that tip is added to the bill, usually based on 18% of the original amount. We've found that some do, some don't, so it's helpful to ask your waiter when he/she brings the bill. Also, some restaurants do not allow you to include alcohol purchases toward the minimum amount, but that should be clearly specified as part of the restrictions on restaurant.com.

Hope that helps. We've found them to be a pretty good deal.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
297 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does Restaurant.com work?

Thank you, that helps a lot.

We were able to get a credit back on the one that was refused so now I'm looking for another place to use it.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How does Restaurant.com work?

As Pawleys says is the way it works, there are some things you must be aware of and if you look at y past posts and the subject line, you will have more info.

As a side, the last report if I recall correctly said that 30% of cert's sold are never redeemd, leaving reastaurant.com with the money, remember the retaurant does notget paid until the cert is used, which is why they will trade a cert for you

Gary

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
297 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does Restaurant.com work?

Actually, Gary, I read last night where you said you had more info about Restaurant.com but I wasn't able to find any amid the numerous posts listed for you. I did try though! :)

5. Re: How does Restaurant.com work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, July 27, 2011
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does Restaurant.com work?

Gary, I'm probably a bigger fan of restaurant.com than you are, but my positive experiences using them have far outweighed the negative ones. I can't say that about some of the coupon books I've tried around here. I read your comment about the restaurant having a different menu online than the one that's actually presented in the restaurant. I've encountered that situation on several occasions with MB area restaurants, just as frequently when I'm not using a restaurant.com coupon. I wish I could give the restaurants the benefit of the doubt and say they were just slow updating their website, but I'm afraid some of them see that "oversight" as a way to draw in business. If that's true, it's unfortunate.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How does Restaurant.com work?

PawleysDude, I never said I did not like Resaturant.com/Groupon/SocialLiving/etc, I have used them in the past and have 2 on my desk now, I only point out that when dining out for 2, it is not always a win for the guest due to the minimum dollar amount needed to spend and any other exclusions on the fine print.

As for the menu being different at the restaurnat I made mention of, that was a huge difference, of course they are drawing people in with a 1 lb burger advertised on the menu for what was it $12 only to be really $20+

I agree that some of the paid for discount books/cards/etc here are not all they are made up to be, what with all the fast food places and national pizza places that fill their pages, which you can get coupons for on line for free or val-pacs/mailers, or once again the small print, having to buy 2 medium drinks at overinflated prices to get the free sub, yet over the years and before publishing myself, I have bought most of my competitors books and got my monies worth.

Gary

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
26 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does Restaurant.com work?

Use the code SUMMER if you buy today for 80% off of the price.

9. Re: How does Restaurant.com work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 07, 2012