We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

setting off fireworks on beach

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
setting off fireworks on beach

Sory if this has been asked recently but....Is it legal to set off fireworks on the beach?

Clayton, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

We were there for New Years eve last year which is also a very popular time for fireworks on the beach. I saw police on the beach, they drove up and down the beach a few times, but in 35+ years of going to Myrtle I have never seen anyone charged, or even spoken to by a police officer regarding fireworks.

Has anyone every actually seen the police do anything about it?

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

Greg J, We were down a few years ago in April. There was someone shooting of a great firework display in front of Holiday Sands South where w were staying. We walked down to the beach to watch them. The beach police came up and all he told them was the it was illegal to shoot fireworks off the beach and told them to stop and go back to their room. The beach police got back on the main road and 5 minutes later they were shooting them again.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

In other words, it's basically not enforced. If the cops were at all serious about enforcement, they could at least confiscate the fireworks.

I guess there's safety in numbers. As with ignoring traffic laws and everything else we're not supposed to do but people insist on doing it. Other examples are using laser pointers and feeding seagulls from balconies...majorly inconsiderate to those below.

Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

Correct it is rarely enforced as it shouldn't be. Is it a nuisance? Yes. Is it annoying? Yes. But should you become a criminal for setting off fireworks an all American past time? No. MBPD realize this & choose not to waste taxpayers time & money enforcing it.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

I'm all for government non-interevention as long as public safety isn't at risk. As lillous has pointed out, MB may feel differently about enforcement after they have been sued by someone who had their fingers or toes blown off.

ragechaos, having your illegal fireworks confiscated or being issued a citation doesn't give anyone a criminal record, but it could prevent an accident. As an MB taxpayer, I don't mind having my tax dollars used to enforce this ordinance.

Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

I just think it's more of a nuisance & disrespectful than an issue of public safety as most of the risks lie with the idiots shooting them off for the most part. Government again trying to protect you from yourself. But I respect your opinion on the issue.

atlantic beach, sc
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

This is a major issue when your home is burned down or a loved one injured from fireworks. Yes, call 911. Idiots can cause major danger to you physically and can burn down your home. People, call 911. Demand these people on the beach shooting fireworks be banned and fined.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

Gabby.... Stop being a pud!! Have a little fun!!! People love fireworks on the beach. I agree though. After 11:00pm is ridiculous.

IL
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

People all for the illegal fireworks obviously have never seen the ramifications of a firework display gone bad. It's ridiculous that my family can't walk on the beach at night free of firework danger. Idiots

20. Re: setting off fireworks on beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, May 06, 2014