We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

East Coast
1 post
Save Topic
Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

Hi, my family is planning an August golf trip to the Myrtle Beach area and I am writing to solicit recommendations on luxury accomodations. We are open to locations from Pawleys Island north to the Brunswick Isles... Although we first entertained the idea of renting a house, I think that we have decided on going with a condo devleopment. Any advice on whether north v. south is a nicer location? Anyone heard of Avista, Laguan Keyes, or Crescent Keyes? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

leesburg, va
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

we are also planning a trip and are interested in one of the resorts you mentioned. I do not believe Crescent Keyes will be completed in time for your trip (it would be pretty close). I have spoken to two agents regarding Laguna Keyes which are to be completed March/April. I believe we will be looking to stay there. We have stayed just south of this resort for the past two years and loved the area.

south hill, va
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

I go to MBch 10-12 times per year. My daughter is a school teacher there and son-in -law a police officer. The southern part is much nicer. Not as crowded, little more expensive but worth it, great golf courses and excellent condos. Depends on if you want to be ocean front or across the hwy.

Willbrook Pantation is nice (across the Hwy) also, the TPC/Wachessaw Plantation course area is excellent.

Up north, you can try the Ocean Isle/Sunset Bch. areas or at the SeaTrail Plantation. More family oriented , like the southern end above and plenty of xcellent golf courses.

Washington, DC
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

I own a 2 bed room, two bath, full kitchen, ocean front view, with over 1000 square feet of living space. My unit is at the Myrtle Beach Resort. The resort is 32 acres gated with private security and the resort also has playgrounds, 6 pools, indoor and outdoor, lazy river, tennis, basketball, volleyball, beach bar, gaemrooms, etc. etc. It is located in Myrtle beach. Feel free to email me if you are interested. My rates are much more reasonable than the resorts because I manage it myself. Feel free to contact me at:

codispot@aol.com Thanks, Lenny

Richmond, VA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

Nothing else in the area compares to the brand new Margate Tower At Kingston Plantation for luxury, ammenities with a direct ocean view. Kingston is a 145 acre resort tropically landscaped. It is a gated community. I just had the best vacation ever at the Marate. I booked my vacation through an owner site vrbo com number 39972 and it was a money saving, wonderful experience. I will be staying at the same place soon.

Pawleys Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

You must visit Pawleys Plantation. Luxury accommodations, 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom units. Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course on site. Privileges on all Grand Strand area golf courses.

Great restaurants on site and in Pawleys Island. Great prices in the summer as it is not oceanfront.

visit www.pawleysplantation.com, islandpackage.com, tourtriogolf.com.

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

i agree with most of previous poster about pawley's plantation. however, having stayed in a 1 BR condo once, i would not go back. the place was dark, damp, smelled of mold and mildew. couldn't use the patio as it was filthy and a breeding place of some very ugly moldy stuff. also be aware if watching tv in bed is important to you, apparently not all of the units have tvs in both living room and bedroom. ours didn't.

I know that nearby Caledonia Golf and Beach Club rents condos, has two spectacular golf courses, and is less than 5 years old. that would be a far better option IMO.

i live in Pinehurst, NC and we like to think we have a couple of pretty good golf courses here. have you considered that instead of MB. of course, we don't have the ocean, but there's a nice lake and beach area and a very peaceful, quaint village. for miniature golf, unbelievable traffic and congestion, strip clubs (not that there's anything wrong with it), and lots of noise . . . go to Myrtle Beach.

Pawleys Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

In regards to golfrgal comments - 50 units at Pawleys Plantation have been completely redone in the last 12 months. At one point they were getting "dated" but management and owners took an aggressive approach and most seem like brand new. The four bedroom units are "brand new" most have been built in the last nine months.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

We just returned from a trip to Pawley's Plantation. I checked out the reviews here before we left and thought it only fair to give my 2 cents...

We traveled with 3 kids (6mnths, 2 1/2 & 9). We will not be returning. We were booked for 10 days and left after 5. The accomodations were certainly dated, as a previous reviewer wrote, and we have stayed in cleaner resorts. The condo was large enough just dark and damp. (They need to ditch the black lampshades and throw in some 75-watt bulbs.) The bedding on the beds in one room smelled like urine. It was foul. I packed up the bedding and threw it in a closet. Daily maid service brought plenty of clean towels. But, that was the extent of our housekeeping experience. I cleaned & ran the vac myself.

We had to drive 10 minutes to the beach. Don't believe them when they say it's less : ) No running water at public access areas.

We had to drive a few minutes to the pool area too. Not a terrific set-up for a family with young children. No lifeguards. Dirty tables around the pool area. We bought lunch from a snack bar and found it a little gross eating at the tables.

This is, of course, my fault for not asking the right questions upfront. I think we would have enjoyed Pawley's more had we rented on the beach ($$$). The plantation is probably a good spot for golfing couples or families with older children... if you get a cleaner room.

On the positive note, the people of SC are lovely & quite friendly.

NC
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice on luxury accomodations for week-long...

I own a 4BR/4BA luxury condo in Ocean Isle Beach. We spend a lot of time at OIB and have also vacationed a lot in Myrtle Beach and enjoy them both. The areas are very different, so it just depends what you're looking for. Please feel free to contact me if you would like more information about renting our condo. jeffkerri@hotmail.com