We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Meals/restaurants

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Topic
Bad Meals/restaurants

This has been discussed few times but I had one of those less than stellar meals tonite and thought lets revisit. My list of worst meals in Myrtle Beach

1. Captain George Buffet, 5 yrs ago but still worst buffet because I ate nothing and they would not refund money.

2. Bimini's Oyster Bar this past summer, worst meal, both of our meals uneatable, gave partial discount. AND service very bad. .

3. Tonite Greg Normans Australian Steak House, food was okay but service awful for the cost of the meal. Sat at the bar, not a busy night and the male bar tender "sucked". So food not bad, quite pricy, I find Outback or Logans Steak's to be as good if not better and half the price.

What is interesting is they don't understand Hart and Hart 1.5 both work in hospitality and are asked constantly where are good places to eat. Will not recommend any of those above.

Anyone else?

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

Hart1 I am so sorry to hear about Greg Norman's! That's always been a favorite of ours, especially my husband. We have always had great food and service. Sure hope they fix their problems! But I always go to the manager and tell them if my service has been bad. If the manager is indifferent than I will write off a restaurant.

I've never been a Captain George fan. If it weren't for their prime location I don't think they would make it.

Bimini's is a place I haven't tried but guess I won't rush out if you were that unhappy with it.

Of course restaurants in every town all suffer from bad service and hot so stellar food at times. Happens in our home town as well. Always a disappointment!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

We went to Greg Normans this past summer as well. Beautiful place... but the worst service of any resturant ever!! It was not crowded at all...and there seemed to be plenty of servers...wandering around. Other patrons seemed pretty upset too...actually getting up to look for their waitress. Food was ok, but not great for that high price. Might go again just for drinks on the terrace...but have dinner someplace else.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

I've posted along these lines before, but I think it bears repeating:

I'd never recommend any of the buffets, nor any chain. There are just too many better choices that are locally owned, especially for seafood. Fresher food, prepared better, by people who care about what they serve you...take advantage while you're there!

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

One of the things that disappoints me the most is when you visit a place for the first time and have a wonderful experience... and the next year you visit and it is horrible.

Some bad meals I've had included: The Sea Trawler, Giant Crab (I just don't like buffets), Chuck's Steakhouse, and Hamburger Joe's. Each of those have been permanently crossed off of our list.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

Bimini's- Although food was good it was like eating at a bombing range.The noise just richoched off the walls.

Abuello's- Just terrible quality of food.

Library- overpriced and felt like the staff was looking over our shoulder.Too much attention.

Lunch at hart1's back yard. Way overpriced.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

Ditto on awful meals at Sea Trawler and Giant Crab - never intend to return to either one. I do think Chuck's Steak House has gone "down hill" some in recent years, but I'm not ready to write it off yet. I cannot agree about avoiding all chain restaurants, because the Bonefish Grille on Kings Highway around 72nd Avenue N. is one of our very favorite places. We have never had any bad food or service there. It is puzzling to me how a restaurant can be soooo good one time and the next time it is horrible. We go to MB usually 3 times a year, and this seems to happen in a spanse of 3 to 4 months that a restaurant's food and/or service changes so drastically. A bad or rude host/hostess or wait person can ruin a really great meal for me, too.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

So, we're usually into positive comments on things, but will post a comment in hopes that the management will see this and work on improving things. We've liked TBonz at Barefoot because of the wonderful view of the waterway and the nice variety of menu items. However, the last couple of visits have been less than stellar, with the food and service being poor. We hope they'll make some improvements.

On another note, we did enjoy a visit to Benny Rappa's, an Italian restaurant with a really nice ambience, good food and friendly service. We will return. In addition, we love Hamburger Joe's for the laid-back atmosphere, "gold wings" , incredibly messy hamburgers and $1 draft!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

I am glad you reminded me about the noise at Bimini's- incredibly loud, probably the loudest restaurant I have been in.

At Greg Normans, 2 steaks and baked potatoes, 2 drafts, 1 tea the total was $74 before tip. I find that to be quite expensive. I regret the size tip I left now, wish I had not left as much as I did. We love Outback and like Logans Roadhouse and could have eaten there several times for what we paid at Greg Normans.

The last time I ate at Chucks Steakhouse, couple years ago, food was not so great.

Another bad meal we at was at Duffy's on Main St and the service was no better.

We do like Becks and Ellas in Calabash, again we LOVE OUTBACK, and we like Hamburger Joes pretty well.

I don't recommend Buffets either, although I hear Ocean Garden in NMB is decent, but I have not been there.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

Sorry TonyMik you did not like my backyard cooking, I thought $20 for the grilled hamburger was a deal to spend time with me. You are always one to make a joke.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad Meals/restaurants

Rarely do we go to chains or 'tourist' restaurants while visiting. However, we have tried Margarittaville, Senor Frogs, and Joe's Crab Shack. Never again on any of them. Food is less than average and overpriced. For all three, I remember saying..."we paid $$$ for that? Never again!!".