We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not family oriented hotel?...

Dayton,OH
2 posts
Save Topic
Not family oriented hotel?...

My husband and I are looking to travel to MB in August 2005 to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We have never been there before. We are looking for a more quiet place with less kids (I love kids but am looking for a break!). Many of the resorts talk about all the kid friendly stuff. I am leaving my 3 kids at home so my husband and I can have some quiet time together. Anyone know of a more quiet place? Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not family oriented hotel?...

Hi,

Are you set on MB? It's a great vacation destination, but I never think of it as a romantic "getaway" destination. It was the Travel channel's best "family beach" this year with good reason, the place is covered with families in the summer months. In the fall and winter there are golfers and shoppers everywhere.(no romance then, either) A wonderful couple's "getaway" destination near MB is Charleston, SC. (an hour south of Myrtle Beach) The historic district has many romantic Bed & Breakfasts, and small historic inns. The historic district is very large and full of restored historic homes and buildings to tour. There are horse drawn carriage rides through the area; very romantic at night. There are several plantations outside of the historic district that are wonderful to tour. On the nearby barrier islands there are all types of accomodations, along the beautiful beaches. There are resorts with all the amenities, on Isle of Palms, Kiawah Island, and Seabrook Island. Sullivan's Island is a bit more laid back and quaint. (It's my favorite) there's some historic sites on the island and we love to rent bikes to ride around to find them. There's tons to do and see in the area, my husband and I have spent several long "getaway" weekends in the area.(it's only a 3 hour drive for us) We also spent our 10th anniversary, there 6 years ago. There's so much to enjoy doing together, plus Charleston has some of the best restaurants in the country. There will be some kids around, but overall, it's a much more "grown up" type of vacation. Post back if you'd like some more info.

Best Wishes!

Little River, South...
Level Contributor
82 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not family oriented hotel?...

I would agree with Mickey......stay away from MB if you're looking for solitude! The Charleston area reccomendations are great!....and if you want even a little more solitude, you can go just a bit father south to the Beaufort (SC...not NC) area. Beaufort itself is a charming old Southern Belle of a town....many lovely, romantic B&B's there. If you want to be out of the "city".......head about 20 miles east out of Beaufort to one of the private islands like Harbor Island or Fripp Island. Check out www.vbro.com for listings of private residences available directly from their owners. My wife and I had a fabulous time on Harbor Island last September in a beautiful condo @ less than $500 a week.....and we about owned the island that time of the year! Have fun!