We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CHEAP seafood

VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
CHEAP seafood

Who knows a good CHEAP place for seafood, buffet maybe, that serves other stuff for my non-seafood-eating husband? I love fish but hubby needs options.. We are on an extreme budget so I can't afford the $25+ a person buffets cause we're a family of four, so I can't afford to drop over $100 for one meal..ideas?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CHEAP seafood

On your budget you might want to try the Shrimp stir-fry at Jimmys Japaneese Hibatchi in the BI-Low Shopping Center on 38th.Chicken and beef for your hubby. Talking take-out here.

tazewell tn
Level Contributor
111 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CHEAP seafood

You might try biminis oyster bar and seafood cafe. It is NMB and they have a website with menu and prices. It's not a buffet but they have good prices on seafood and have other stuff too. I don't care for seafood but my husband loves it and we both enjoyed our meal there.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CHEAP seafood

If you are on a tight budget but want good seafood, I would skip the buffet. The nicer ones are all going to be pricey. You can get a much better meal at a restaurant by ordering off the menu & still control the cost.

If you decide to go for one of the buffets, they all have plenty of non-seafood items.

Another option is one of the seafood markets that will cook/steam the food for you. You can pick up some side dishes from a deli.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CHEAP seafood

I have to agree with the PP about not going to the buffets if you are going for cheap. Seafood as a rule is expensive and the good buffets are especially pricey.

Level Contributor
8,463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: CHEAP seafood

Yes be careful what you ask for. Cheap seafood means bait and food poisoning or Long JOhn Silvers not that there is any difference...

What you might be able to do if you have a condo or hotel room with a kitchen is buy some seafood and cook it yourself.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CHEAP seafood

Where will you be staying? Might help narrow down your choices.

Not saving money on meal if you drive twenty miles to get there.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CHEAP seafood

The Chinese buffets are very reasonable; most have shrimp & other seafood + much more for about $10. pp, less for kids. Look for coupons.

Also, Friday is seafood night at Ryans & Golden Corral, go early for lunch rate, but even at dinner prices these two are very good & quite a bargain.

VA
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CHEAP seafood

Well maybe we will stick with Long John's...I never got food poisoning there! I'm sure we will find something... thanks for all the suggestions.

Maybe we will try Chinese.

Fulton, MS
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: CHEAP seafood

I agree with Sopranofreak, we go to the seafood market and they only add maybe $1 per pound to cook it alot of ways. We have a kitchen so one night we get a variety fried and I'll do french fries in the oven, another night we get grilled and I'll do rice and a salad. I think you get the idea. This saves us alot of money. We also have one or two that doesn't eat seafood, so we go thru one of the drive-threw and get them a burger or chicken. One thing to think about is the $3 drinks (or more) for everyone and then the tip which can be $15 and up.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CHEAP seafood

Look for Happy Hour specials. Most of the beach bars have specials like $5 crab legs and $0.25 shrimp. And, since it is a summer-vacation place, children are welcome at most of them. Here's an example of one of our favorites in Little River:

http://captpoos.com/default.aspx

There are plenty of places like this in North Myrtle (Duffy Street Seafood Shack, Crab Catchers, OD Arcade, etc.). There are probably plenty of places down in Myrtle with specials like this.