We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do over Christmas break other than golf??

Grand Rapids MI
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do over Christmas break other than golf??

We'll be visiting Myrtle Beach the week between Christmas and New Year's with our 10yr old, grandparents and extended family.

We are excited just to be going someplace WARM! I've looked at various websites to see what type of activities are available to those of us who aren't too keen on spending the day golfing, and haven't really found much beyond walking the beach and the malls.

Any suggestions on activities to fill our days & nights?

We love theatre, history, touring plantations, estates, art, interactive museums, hiking, biking...etc.

Is there any special event that takes place this time of year?

ie: In Colonial Williamsburg the town is open late in the evening and the street lights are lit with torches, the homes are decorated in Colonial styles and it's quite something to see the Fife and Drum come into the square and play during the lighting.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do over Christmas break other than golf??

Hi,

Myrtle Beach is pretty much golf, shopping, and Dinner theater shows this time of year. Check out funbeaches.com for more on Dinner Shows; and other things to do. Several of the Dinner shows do special holiday programs. There is a Ripley's Aquarium and an Imax theater at Broadway at The Beach. The Palace Theater is also located there, and usually has some type of great holiday entertainment. Broadway at the Beach is a shopping, restaurant, and entertainment destination. Jimmy Buffett just opened a new Margaritaville restaurant there, we haven't been to it yet, but the Margaritaville in Orlando, FL was a great meal and lots of family fun. (we're huge fans) There is also a new Children's museum in MB, but I don't know anything about it. Up toward to north end of MB is Barefoot Landing similiar to Broadway only smaller. There is an "Alligator Adventure" park near Barefoot Landing, they have all sorts of reptiles, birds, and other animals. The Grand Prix amusement park may be open limited hours over the holidays.

It sounds like you would really enjoy Charleston, SC or Wilmington, NC.(and surrounding area) They would both be easy day trips from MB. Charleston is one hour south of Myrtle Beach and Wilmington is one hour north. Historic Charleston is wonderful this time of year. The historic homes are all beautifully decorated, and there are many special things to do and see around the holidays. Check out ChristmasinCharleston.com

There is also a lot to do outside the historic district. Patriots Point is very close to historic Charleston and is a great military museum with several large ships to tour including an aircraft carrier. Middleton Place Plantation is a wonderful old restored plantation, they have a lot of history there, including artisians who demonstrate how all kinds of needed things were made right onsite. On Sullivan's Island there is a neat old military fort and museum to tour; Fort Moultrie National Monument. Near the historic district there is also the new large SC aquarium.

Wilmington, NC is also very nice to tour. You can actually drive to the small historic seaside town of Southport, NC and board the ferry for Fort Fisher. (or you can drive straight into Wilmington on Hwy. 17) It is a fun trip in itself, plus Southport is a neat little town with lots of history,antique shops, and restaurants. The newly redone and expanded NC Aquarium is at Fort Fisher, as well as the Fort Fisher historic battle site and museum. It is a short drive from there into the historic district of Wilmington, similar to Charleston on a much smaller scale. There are several historic homes to tour there as well. The USS North Carolina is also there to tour. Here's a website for more Wilmington info.- cape-fear.nc.us

As for biking, hiking etc. I'm sure you can probably find a place to rent bikes in MB; we own a beach house in nearby Holden Beach, NC and biking is a big pastime. We have plenty of bike rental shops around. On Sunset Beach, NC, 30 minutes north of MB, there is an uninhabited island that you can now walk or bike to. Years ago you had to either take a boat or wade over at low tide. It is a beautiful area, all left natural, something hard to find at the coast these days.

One last thing, you mentioned, WARM. Well, I hope that it will be, unfortunately it can be pretty cold there this time of year. Right now we are in the middle of an Artic air cold wave, here in Charlotte, it is only about 28 degrees F. right now. (this is unusually cold for us , and I hate it!) The coast is usually a few degrees warmer, but the wind chill can often make it feel colder. We've had wonderful warm days at the beach this time of year(70-80 degrees), and sadly some terribly cold ones, too. I'd check weather.com for the forecast for MB before you left home. I hope this helps and you all have a great, safe trip.

Best Wishes!

Charleston
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do over Christmas break other than golf??

I know this post is old, very old, but for people who found it doing a search I just wanted to let everyone I saw a sign that the Calabash Fishing Fleet in Calabash,NC is having a Christmas Waterway Cruise. (Calabash is about 20 mins north of Myrtle Beach) I forget which days but they will be running in Dec. They will be having lights, music, food, probably a lot of fun. Their phone number is 910-575-0017 or toll free at 866-575-0017. Price is very cheap. Some where around 20 dollars a person and less for kids. I know i will be going. Sounds like alot of fun.

Lugoff, SC
Level Contributor
436 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do over Christmas break other than golf??

Even though this post is old, my favorite thing to do over Christmas break is by far the Dixie Stampede! Love this show and have seen it several times. The Ripleys aquarium and Museum are always great too!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
416 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do over Christmas break other than golf??

Just sifting through and thought I'd add something to this post in case it's helpful for anyone. Brookgreen Gardens just south of Myrtle also does a a great event for the Christmas season called Nights of a Thousand Candles, on weekends in December. It's an annual celebration, and they have lots of festive things like singing and other musical performances, food, and of course a ton of lights Here's the website if anyone is interested: www.brookgreen.org.

Happy Holidays!

5. Re: Things to do over Christmas break other than golf??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 14, 2009