We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Dunes with Waterpark

NY
5 posts
Save Topic
Sand Dunes with Waterpark

I can't believe the place is as bad as everyone has posted on Tripadvisor. We are going here on SUnday and I am scared! Please someone honestly tell me its not that bad!!

Edgefield, SC
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Dunes with Waterpark

I believe that the bad reviews are for the buildings that are old and from people who for some reason went to a family resort but don't like to be around children. Call and make sure you get a room in one of the newer buildings, I think the Spray building is the one we stayed in and it was nice, not 5 star of course, but I didn't have any problems. I wish I was leaving Sunday to return but, I'll have to wait till the end of August. Make sure to check out the activities there including the guest appreciation party it's free(I think it's Sun or Mon afternoon). My kids loved the waterpark. Anytime we talk about planning a trip they beg to go back. So much for a nice mountain trip once in a while. Have fun.

Bayside, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Dunes with Waterpark

I just got back 3 days ago. Here's the scoop. The Kids LOVED it!! The waterpark is great , alot of fun. NICE lazy river! Check in took 2 hours before I got my room . VERY slow! Mixed up the rooms. Stayed in the Villas across from water park. They were ok, at least clean if nothing else. Need to be updated. I had no towels , my friend who had the room next door to me also had no towels.... I called 6 times , she called 4 times (from 2:00pm - 6:30) still NO TOWELS! By that point I was LIVID! A 12 hour drive, up for 36 hours ...We all needed to shower! Went to front desk and I blew a fit! I unfortunatley scared other people that were checking in.... I paid $235 a night (7 nights total alot of $$$$) I deserve a towel! They gave me 2 towels ( we are a family of 4) ! Within 15 houskeeping was at my door with 6 towels! Nice young man....Told me the resort was going to bits! Short over 300 staff in housekeeping alone! The room was done on time each day, but no extra effort to vacumn or sweep. . They make your bed & new towels daily THATS IT! I had to clean the tub myself a couple of times & clean the floor. After speaking to a lovely waitress at the breakfast buffet (it was her last day because she said she only got paid $3 per hour) she told me they dont pay or treat their employees right, thats why they do the minimal. Can you blame them? 12 different management companies in the last 5 years! Each time a new mgmt Co. came in & told them they needed to spend money to renovate, they kicked them out & moved on to the next. It's a shame! It could be such a classy, outstanding resort! It is in a great location. Riverside cafe attached to pool area - BEST burgers EVER! Neat place. Peanut shells on floor kids had fun! Don't know if I'd go back to Sand Dunes , but we had a great time in and will go backto MB! !

Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Dunes with Waterpark

We are also staying at Sand Dunes from July 24 - July 30. We got a 2 bedroom condo through Smith Rentals...anyone have any information on these?!?! They told us they are newly renovated but after reading the reviews we are SCARED to get there!! Is there a difference in the privately owned ones compared to the actual resort?? Any info is appreciated.

Bayside, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Dunes with Waterpark

The Villa that I stayed in at the resort that faces the waterpark was also privatley owned. The owners obviously didn't put much into our room but its really the management of the resort that lacks. It was a rough start, but the kids loved it, they were clueless..... We overlooked things and made the best of it & had a blast BUT NOT worth the $235 per night that we spent!

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach