We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Myrtle Beach

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Myrtle Beach

My family (self, husband, teens 15 and 19) will be in the Myrtle Beach area for one night only on a weekend in May. We have never been there before. I was thinking we should try to extend our stay by at least a day--I know there are thousands of things to do. I LOVE beaches--the less crowded kind--but my kids are couch potatoes who feel like they have already "been there, done that" on everything that I suggest. They have NO interest in museums, aquariums, gardens, zoos, history, sports, etc. So I have two questions: 1. where are the less-crowded beaches in the area? and 2. if you had two teens and only one weekend day in Myrtle Beach, where other than the beach would you take them? Thanks in advance for your replies!

n.c.
Level Contributor
18 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

Sounds like you need two vacations, one for you and hubby and another for the teens.

If I wanted a secluded pretty beach in this area, which almost doesn't compute, would head for Huntington Beach State Park, just south of Murrell's Inlet. But the teens might surely get bored with just sand and sea.

Not sure what they do like as you excluded most diversions. Give 'em some loot and turn them loose at Broadway at the Beach-- that should be good for a few hours, what with the IMAX, hundreds of shops and perhaps other bored teens just 'chillin.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

The 15-year-old is the one hardest to please--at the moment her interests are limited to theater, concerts, comedy, anime, and (especially) chatting with her friends. To give you a point of reference, I am headed to Disney (my favorite spot) in a week and she turned down the chance to go, since she couldn't take a friend along. Thanks for the beach recommendation! I would like to find at least one other thing that we could all do (and enjoy) together. Is there anything besides shopping at Broadway at the Beach? An IMAX theater is not a novelty for us because we have one near our home. I really do appreciate your help, and any other suggestions that you can offer.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

When in May do you plan on spending this night or possibly longer than a night? In May we have two bike weeks that occur and I really would not like to see your view of Myrtle Beach ruined by the bike weeks. Or if you do want to be here during the bike weeks, I hope you enjoy them. But I figured since most people don't know about the bike weeks, I figured I'd ask.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

Hello don't know if this would interest them but you could try the Nascar Speedpark. I've never been but I think it is quite popular.

Good luck.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
381 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

If your daughter enjoys shows and concerts, why not make reservations at one of the theatres in the Myrtle Beach area. Maybe she would enjoy the Le Grande Cirque, or the Alabama Theatre, or even The Carolina Opry. All three shows appeal to a wide range of ages. Hard Rock Park might be another consideration, but since I have not yet been there myself I can't yet personally recommend the place. Does she enjoy shopping? Besides Broadway at the Beach, there is also Barefoot Landing, and the new shopping complex that just opened this month called The Market Common.

n.c.
Level Contributor
18 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

Just want to add, if you're going during bike weeks, DO NOT GO. Change your plans-- go anywhere else. It is miserable, unless, I suppose, you're a biker.

Visited the Market Commons a couple of weeks ago and do not think it would be pleasing to a typical teenager. Lots of stores and restaurants still not open and NO public restrooms anywhere. A pretty place, but think teens would like Broadway at Beach and/or Barefoot Landing much more.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

When is Bike Week? We'll actually be there the first part of Memorial Day weekend (May 24), leaving Sunday morning. And the date is fixed--we're taking a flight from the airport. I had originally thought we might spend several days there because my daughter will be out of school by then, but then I found out my son's summer college classes will already be starting.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

Georgia if you are going to be there during Memorial day weekend, DO NOT go. That is one of the bike weeks and they city is at a total stand still. Ocean Blvd is closed to go only south, and Highway 17 business going north is clogged and takes hours to go north. I highly recommend skipping Myrtle Beach if you were coming that week. I dont want your trip ruined and think badly of MB.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
208 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

OMG, thanks to everyone for the warnings! It looks like we may change our plans, although I can't change the flight schedule. We have booked a hotel room in Conway--will we be able to get to the airport on Sunday morning? Also, if we get there early and still want to spend some time at the beach, how far away do we need to stay to avoid the traffic? How about North Myrtle Beach--does it have a good beach?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Myrtle Beach

Perhaps your 'couch potatoes' would enjoy sitting on the balcony on ocean blvd watching the bikers cruise up and down. If they are going to find MB boring, Conway will put them in a straight jacket.