We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

Corning, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

Never stayed in NMB, I guess I'll either love it or hate it.

My brother is going at the same time, and he refuses to stay in NMB.

Everyday, I keep asking myself if it was a good choice to book with the Avista for the end of August. Ratings seem okay, altho most are not pleased with the washer and dryer in the room.

Not too late to cancel the reservation, and then it'd be narrowed down to Ocean Reef Resort or Sand Dunes Resort

Discuss.

Thank you!!

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

We just cancelled with Avista due to reviews. I dont have a good feeling about the glitches being worked out by our scheduled arrival July 9. When I cancelled reservations states the bar and restaruant are still not running and they have no liquor lic. Punch work still being done on second tower. Our friends came back from MB Saturday and stayed at Sand Dunes said room needed updated and housekeeping was bad they only had service 3 of seven days and had to hunt down towels everyday. They did receive a credit upon checkout after complaining. They did say pool area was nice. Good luck. Remember you get what you pay for!!

Corning, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

Thanks...

I talked to them and they said that they had been waiting on their liquor license. I HOPE to hell that they have it come the end of August. And thanks for the info on the 'Dunes. I guess the water park attracted me, because I will have my 10 yr old girl and my nephew with me as well.

Corning, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

....so where did you end up booking, if you don't mind me asking...

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

We decided to stay at the Marriott Grand Dunes. We just bit the bullet and are going to spend the extra money. I was just really afraid of having a yucky room. We have never gone wrong with the Marriott. Just pricey. Good luck with your decision. My friends liked the Dunes they just had a few problems. They still had a really good time. Their kids are 4 and 1.

Corning, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

I changed my reservation!! I have decided to go with Sea Watch Resort... I asked the lady at Avista if they'd gotten their liquor license yet and she said no, and then I said I wanted to cancel and she says to me "because we don't have our liquor license yet???" - pfft.

I think Sea Watch will be good.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

Where exactly is Sea Watch? The address on the web site just said Sea Watch Drive. That doesn't help. I check the rates for 4 adults and 3 kids for the middle of Aug. WOW too expensive!

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

We stayed at Sea Watch in a 3br condo on the 2nd floor of the north tower a few years ago and loved it. Had no problems with housekeeping, pool area was well kept, elevators were not as slow as most of the other places. I think you will really enjoy your stay. It is Ocean Front around Restaurant Row Area. If I remember correctly, it is somewhere between Apache Campground and Kingston Plantation.

Bayside, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

Just got back 3 days ago and As far as this quote goes......

"Our friends came back from MB Saturday and stayed at Sand Dunes said room needed updated and housekeeping was bad they only had service 3 of seven days and had to hunt down towels everyday. They did receive a credit upon checkout after complaining. They did say pool area was nice. Good luck. Remember you get what you pay for!!"

I agree EXCEPT for "you get what you pay for!!" How much more than $235 per night (7 nights total!) do you need to pay for clean towels in your room????????? I had NO towles at check in ...called 6 times & had to go to front desk to get only 2 myself! we are a family of 4! pool area was nice lazy river & waterpark too! It's a shame it could be such a fabulous resort! 12 management companies in the last 5 years! short over 300 staff in housekeeping alone! Don't think I'd go back again. As far as the kids go, they LOVED it! (thats really all that mattered in the end) . First time in MB & LOVED it!!!! Can't wait to go back!

Corning, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

Has anyone seen the lastest reviews on Avista??

SO GLAD I cancelled my reservation there!! I think Sea Watch will be great.. just hope I chose the "right" tower.

NC
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Made my reservation and I'm STILL unsure! Avista vs Sand...

I travel to Myrtle Beach atleast 10 times a year and love the North Myrtle Beach area!!!!!!!!