We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stops along the way

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
stops along the way

We are traveling from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach. Can anyone suggest any cool places to stop along the way? Good sightseeing spots or a nice hotel to stay over night?

What about South of the Border? Is this worth stopping at? It will be my husband, me, our 2 year old son and both grandmothers(god help us) LOL:)

Thanks!!!

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: stops along the way

If you're staying near North Myrtle Beach there's a quicker way to travel than to 501. You will not go by South of the Border though. We get off 95 at exit 14 toward Maxton/Laurinburg.

We save a good 45 minutes and do not hit the awful traffic on 501. We get off the Kings Road exit of SC 22 by the Tanger Outlets just before North Myrtle Beach.

Found this route several years ago and it's so much better!

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: stops along the way

If you're going to Myrtle and you're going by Dillon....STOP at South of the Border. It's not that you'll get much out of your stop but it's classic Americana. It fit much better in the 60's and 70's than it does today but it is worth a stop. Places like it are going by the wayside and if you stop and make 2-5 pictures with your family in them and SOB in the background; it will be something to look at and remember when you get old. How can you travel I-95 and never visit Pedro? You might never stop again but do it this time and say you have. Tell Pedro that cisco sent you.

http://www.pedroland.com/

www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/SCDILsob.html

roadsideamerica.com/tips/getAttraction.php…

travel.webshots.com/album/552510621fdBXLG

NC
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: stops along the way

www.fabuloustravel.com/usa/sotb/sotb.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_the_Border_(attraction)

www.roadtripamerica.com/places/southof.htm

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: stops along the way

Make sure you stop by some of the roadside vegetable markets and pick up your bag of boiled peanuts. A SC staple for trips to MB. If you have never tried them at least stop and pick up some. It may be something you like or absolutely hate.

Fredericton, NB
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: stops along the way

What are boiled peanuts and when are they in season?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: stops along the way

WHAT ARE Boiled Peanuts???????? :-)

It's an acquired taste but they are just raw peanuts boiled in their shells in some salt water. Available usually from the beginning of summer to about October or so.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: stops along the way

Whew - boiled peanuts - yuck....ROASTED peanuts...YUMMY!!!!!!

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
937 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: stops along the way

I'm going to amend my previous post and recommend that you go ahead and stop at South of the Border. I just wanted to warn you about what to really expect. I myself am actually into nostalgia and tacky 60's-70's era roadside attractions, but have found that most other people aren't.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: stops along the way

If you're going to stop at South of the Border and want to spend the night there, DO NOT stay in the vicinity. Look for a decent motel in Fayetteville or Lumberton instead. Of course, you'll only be 2-3 hours outside of MB, so you might just want to consider going all the way from there.

Don't know of any specific hotels to stay at, as you haven't posted your actual route (though I'd imagine you'll be taking I-74 east from I-77 toward Winston-Salem and heading east from there), but any decently-sized city on the way (Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Beckley & Princeton, WV; Wytheville & Hillsville, VA; Winston-Salem & Greensboro, NC) should have a good selection of hotels, some of which are bound to be pretty good.

As fro SOtheB itself, it's an acquired taste. It's tacky as heck and all the souvenirs are overpriced, but I had to stop at least once and find out for myself, and to say I've been there. So, sure, take a look around. In a couple hours you'll pretty much see everything there (and maybe the Sombrero Tower will be open to get some great views of the area, which it wasn't when I stopped by).

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: stops along the way

This is kinda dumb, but I love to stop at this little place that looks like a giant strawberry (seriously) for ice cream. It's homemade & yummy!

Can't even tell you where it's at, but we pass by every year on the way from Ohio.