We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Crabbin spots

Louisville
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good Crabbin spots

Does anyonne know of any good crabbin' or fishing spots in Myrtle beach.

I am looking for public access and brackish water

I am going to take my five year old crabbin'

Thanks

fort erie
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Crabbin spots

Hi ,

Did you ever find good crabbing and can you tell me where (and how) never been but would love to take my boys

Baltimore
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Crabbin spots

Only place i know of would be Murrells inlet area , back bays, Maybe ask at a bait shop on the main road if they know a place.

Surfside
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Crabbin spots

The best place for crabbing is low tide in Pawley's Island. It's about a 20 min. trip from surfside. If you head toward the south end once you get there, you can find a boat launch. When at low tide, you can walk through the marsh. My family enjoys during our vacation to Pawley's (yah, when you live at the beach, it seems you don't have to go very far to vacation) to go do this at around midnight or whenever lowtide is. We take a latern, net, and bucket and go at it.

A good place for fishing is a public inlet access in Murrells Inlet right before Brookgreen Gardens. The entrance is very hidden in the woods so be vigilant.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Crabbin spots

Are we talking "chicken neckin" way of crabbing or wading ?

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Crabbin spots

For crabbing Huntington Beach State Park is the best! I have been going there for over 10 years for crabbing and it is great. Just ask the employees exactly where to go! Good Luck!

Surfside
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Crabbin spots

The way I mentioned is wading through the water and scooping them up with a net. Also, setting a net into the water and periodically checking it, while using chicken for bait, is a pretty effective way to crab. I'm not really down with the whole "chicken on a string" method.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Crabbin spots

Yeah , I guess it's a Maryland thing......Around the Chesapeake

Bay it is how you are taught. Unless you learn with the trot line,which is a faster way to the bushel, but no where near as much fun. Have waded also but water clarity nowadays it not what is was in the 60's.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Crabbin spots

That's funny my neighboring MB local...the chicken on a string is the only way I have ever crabbed! :-)

fort erie
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Crabbin spots

Ok - I am feeling a little dumb here - chicken on a string? - do you mean- simply tie a piece of chicken onto a length of string and throw into the water?????I dont want to look like a complete fool in front of my boys!!!

Lumberton NJ
Level Contributor
659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Crabbin spots

What you do is get what they call a "drop line". It is line that on one end there is a weighted pin thing that you put your bait on and drop it over the side of the boat or pier, When you feel the crab eating the bait you SLOWLY raise the line and scoop up the crab with a net!! Most people use Chicken or Bunker. Some people say that chicken pollutes the water. Something about the bactria from the chicken..Who knows??