We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane

Hawaii Kai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Hurricane

We have been told that due to the hurrican, the waters are contaminated and no swimming is allowed in myrtle beach?

Please tell me this is nothing by gossip!!!!

Thank you

14 replies to this topic
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane

What hurricane? It was nowhere near MB. Who told you ?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane

Myrtle Beach is 80 miles long. Sometimes a section of beach is closed after heavy rains, not just hurricanes. Here's a website for accurate info. Note that this news release is one month old.

scdhec.gov/Agency/…

Hawaii Kai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane

Hurricane Alberto, we saw it on the news (CLeveland,Ohio). My husband 's sister that lives in Charlotte said the same thing.

The news station in Cleveland stated said that debris is in the myrtle beach ocean and no swimming is allowed!

thank you for saying that it is not so.

Hawaii Kai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane

Hurricane Alberto, we saw it on the news (CLeveland,Ohio). My husband 's sister that lives in Charlotte said the same thing.

The news station in Cleveland stated said that debris is in the myrtle beach ocean and no swimming is allowed!

thank you for saying that it is not so.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane

Maybe they were thinking about swimming in Lake Erie, which I wouldn't do on a good day LOL.

Hawaii Kai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane

Steve, that comment was not necessary. I can say a lot about Decatur, Georgia, as I lived there for over 29 years.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane

First of all, Alberto was NOT a hurricane. It was not even a tropical storm. Tragically, it produced torrents of rain that led to deadly flooding.

Myrtle Beach experienced heavy rains that eventually wash into the ocean. When this happens pollutants such as pet waste, fertilizer, etc end up in the ocean. Same thing happens on any other beaches surrounded by too many buildings and too many people. Due to high bacteria counts in the ocean water, warnings were issued for several beach areas in MB. The last report I heard, these were lifted everywhere except for portions of North Myrtle Beach. Those may very well have been lifted by now. This is not a rare event. It happens several times each year, just usually a little later in the summer.

myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article2122…

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane

Another local report - wdbj7.com/content/news/Post-Alberto-bacteria…

Edited: 8:19 pm, May 31, 2018
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
699 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane

Here's the official SC website: https://gis.dhec.sc.gov/beachaccess/

Yes there are a couple of areas with advisories but the Myrtle Beach area overall is fine and open for business.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane

boman, stevedec is a troll. Ignore him.

Reply to: Hurricane
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted