We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for Those with Walking Difficulties

Hershey
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for Those with Walking Difficulties

Any suggestions for hotels/rentals in MB or NMB where the accomodations are a short, flat walk to the beach preferably with no steps? I have a family member who walks short distances with a cane, has difficulty with steps and refuses to use a beach wheelchair.

6 replies to this topic
Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for Those with Walking Difficulties

Most of the oceanfront resorts do have a few steps which takes you over the dunes and back down. I am sure there are areas which are handicapped accessible but I can't think of some with no steps.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for Those with Walking Difficulties

Some of the public access points have ramps over the dunes. Check google maps to make sure. For example, here is an access point at 29th Ave South in Myrtle Beach Proper. https://goo.gl/maps/qqHM9QsnGBC2

If you don't mind a house or condo, consider further south as an option. Here is a public access point with a ramp at 3rd Ave. North in Surfside Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/XKrm52tNswP2

There are many other public access points with ramps, but check to make sure as there are also many with stairs only.

Goodluck and have fun!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,366 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for Those with Walking Difficulties

Seems like Carolina Winds (at the north end of MB, nice area) has no steps to the ocean. If you get a first floor condo (3 bedroom) you can just walk out the back sliding door past the pool and right to the walkway. Pretty easy. Might be a step up to a curb.

It just depends on the hotel and area. The dunes are not that big in MB or NMB and many walkways just go right thru them. A lot of public beach accesses don't have steps.

If you go to "google maps" and type in the hotel...or even just the area...then go to "satellite view" and zoom in you and pretty much see the walkways and any steps.

But...I would think the hardest part would be walking on the sand close to the dunes. It is very soft and not easy to walk on for any length. It is easier to walk closer to the ocean where it is hard packed.

Edited: 5:42 pm, April 06, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for Those with Walking Difficulties

There are ramps at Kingston Plantation that will get you to the beach without steps. I know that both the North Hampton and South Hampton condo towers have beach ramps without steps and I believe the Embassy Suites hotel does as well. The problem, as previously mentioned, will be getting through the dry powdery sand that is closest to the dunes.

Hershey
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for Those with Walking Difficulties

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for Those with Walking Difficulties

Around 69th has a area where you have ramp access. I think it takes you right over the dune. Even a place to sit.

Reply to: Hotel for Those with Walking Difficulties
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted