We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
"safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

We are possibly taking a trip to Myrtle Beach this summer and considering booking a room at Sandy Beach Resort. As we'll be traveling with our young son as well, I am curious about the neighborhood in that area (200 S. Ocean Drive). We do love walking around during the day and evening when we are on vacation, so any insight would be appreciated on how safe a neighborhood it is.

We do want to be oceanfront and would like to have some places to walk to, so we're not looking for total isolation but would also want to feel safe. Not having been there at all, we are really dependent on these reviews.

As we've booked nothing yet, I'm also open to any suggestions of oceanfront properties that are reasonably priced that have fit this description.

Thanks in advance.

Bee

Edited: 12:05 pm, March 27, 2018
13 replies to this topic
AKRON, OHIO
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

Have you thought of staying in North Myrtle Beach? Windy Hill or Crescent? More family oriented & less crowded but still close enough to get anywhere you want to go.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

You dont need to go NMB, there are some very nice areas of MB and you will be able to walk to many resturants, attractions and be nearer other attractions. With that being said I am not a big fan of the south side of MB. Sandy Beach is a nice resort with nice accomodations and its near family kingdom. I am not saying its unsafe but I like the area north of 21 st

That would include The Breakers, Oceans22 and my favorite The Caribbean

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

Just my opinion. Sandy Beach Resort is right in the middle of the HubBub. https://goo.gl/maps/o8ytUB1MZV62

This area is very crowded with a packed beach and heavy traffic. I know a lot of people enjoy this type of area, but it is not what I find relaxing. I prefer to stay on the south side of the Grand Strand, then if I want to visit the HubBub, I can drive there one night.

By south side, I mean 26th Ave South, in Myrtle Beach, Springmaid Beach, Surfside Beach, and Garden City Beach. The downside to your requirements, there are fewer things to walk to from these locations compared to the HubBub.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

Thank you all for your helpful and detailed responses. This gives us a clearer perspective on how to proceed.

Looking forward to visiting Myrtle Beach!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

Any of the hotels in the area of 52ndN up to 75thN are in a nice quiet area as you don't have the side streets with the smaller motels leading up to Kings Hwy. Those hotels are backed up by mostly private residences.This is the Northern section of Myrtle Beach.

Hulbert, Oklahoma
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

What about the Sand dunes? 201 74th ave N just wondering about safety of area as well as condo

Edited: 11:33 pm, June 06, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

Thanks! We did find a condo at 2700 N. Ocean Blvd. I appreciate the responses!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

Good luck, its a great location. Did you pick the Strand or Patricia Grand?

Edited: 12:31 pm, June 07, 2018
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

Garden City is a great family friendly beach, we vacation there every year. Check out Garden City Realty for ocean front rentals. As for walking around, the boardwalk at Myrtle Beach, Broadway at the Beach, Barefoot Landing and other attractions are all about a 30 minute drive.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach

Was wondering if anyone knows if North kings hwy area is safe..looking at staying at the La Quinta there..we are bringing our 2yr old so I'm concerned..tyi..

Reply to: "safe" / family friendly area in Myrtle Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted