We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ragtop and Roadsters Auto Museum

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
530 posts
10 reviews
Ragtop and Roadsters Auto Museum

Hi All,

We're actually going to be staying in Isle of Palms, and I'm looking for an auto museum to visit (preferably muscle cars but I'm looking at anything fun). I can't see anything in the Charleston area, but I keep seeing references to a ragtop and roadsters auto museum in Murrells Inlet, but the website isn't working.

Does it still exist? If it does, is it worth the drive?

Thanks

Susan

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Ragtop and Roadsters Auto Museum

Unfortunately, that museum could not draw enough visitors to sustain them, and it closed a couple years ago. Although there are a number of car shows in the Myrtle Beach area every year, I'm not aware of another auto museum in the area. Sorry.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
530 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Ragtop and Roadsters Auto Museum

I suspected that might be the case. Thanks for confirming.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,241 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Ragtop and Roadsters Auto Museum

Bit of a drive from IOP, but here's one just outside of Charlotte...

http://www.memorylaneautomuseum.com/

Went to one of these places in Palm Beach, FL, I'm not into cars, but it was, indeed, fun.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
530 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Ragtop and Roadsters Auto Museum

Thank-you! I know it miiiiilllllleees, but we are actually considering it!

When we were in Las Vegas last year we went to both the Imperial Palace display and the Shelby Factory, so we do always check to see if there is anything car-ish 'nearby'. (Nearby is relative!) ;)

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
150 reviews
5. Re: Ragtop and Roadsters Auto Museum

Wow! You are dedicated. <:-) If you don't mind driving that far, you may also want to check out the Darlington Raceway Museum - darlingtonraceway.com/About-Us/Museum-Giftsh…

Darlington is one of the legendary NASCAR race tracks. Although it has largely been left behind by the bigger, newer tracks, it still hosts a race or two every year. Their museum seems to focus on early race cars, if those qualify as "muscle" cars, but also has some classic autos, too. The link above takes you to a nice write-up of the museum. I've never been there, so cannot offer any opinions. It's about 2.5 hours from IOP by Interstate highway.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,241 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Ragtop and Roadsters Auto Museum

Glad to have helped, hope it works out for you!!!

7. Re: Ragtop and Roadsters Auto Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, July 31, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Murrells Inlet
Recent Conversations