We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boone Hall Oyster Fest 2014

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Boone Hall Oyster Fest 2014

I gather that this is a hugely popular event, so, I was wondering....is it necessary to secure hotel rooms (like now) for this? Should we bring our own chairs? And how soon should tickets be purchased. I am not sure what to expect coming from NJ but we want to revisit the area for this. My daughter was married on the Cotton Dock last August. For the wedding, we all stayed at Shem Creek Inn and had a blast. We are considering this again, however, I would think that Jan would be much slower, maybe things won't be open? with that said...can someone suggest another hotel closer to Boone Hall. Thanks a bunch!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boone Hall Oyster Fest 2014

Mt Pleasant is a large town with a large permanent population so nothing will be closed, I would make reservations early still, even for Jan, better early than scrambling at the last minute.

The festival is huge, Make sure to get there early and bring lots of patience as well cause traffic will be pretty rough.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boone Hall Oyster Fest 2014

Thanks winter face! I am leaning on making hotel rezzies. (I could always cancel). Would you recommend Shem Creek or somewhere closer to Boone Hall? (We liked the atmosphere of the creek, bars and restaurants within walking distance for the time not spent at the festival). Should we bring along lawn seats for the festival? And is it worth going to? We all love oysters, love Mt. Pleasant and thought it would be nice to spend a couple of days there during our usually awful January.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boone Hall Oyster Fest 2014

I would stick with staying at shem creek, there's not much hotels out towards boone hall, Plus, staying at shem creek is a heckuva lot more fun than staying at like some roadside motel. Well worth it.

I would def bring either lawnchairs or maybe just a blanket, something to sit on

And its def worth going to, its a blast, there's always some good music and the sight of two 18 wheelers filled with oysters is an amazing site! The shucking contest is fun to watch as well, amazing how fast some folks are!

Nothing better to do in the winter on the coast than an oyster roast, the warm fires, the steam, the smell, its awesome.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boone Hall Oyster Fest 2014

We often get rain in January, so sitting on the ground may not be a good option if is wet and muddy. I would bring lawn chairs to be safe.

Monmouth County,NJ
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boone Hall Oyster Fest 2014

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions! It was just what I'm looking for! Now...weather? I know that it won't be summer like....I would assume it would be like our early spring. Cool, chance of rain/showers? Sweatshirt, layers. I would assume "cold" as we NJ northerners know it is not true for this part of SC. I am thinking of driving so that I can bring the chairs and things of comfort...plus, I can stop to see my daughter along the way in Sumter! Her and her husband are planning to join us for the Oyster Fest! Now, Im getting excited thinking of this little trip!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Boone Hall Oyster Fest 2014

Hmm weather...Thats really tricky in Jan, I've been to the festival twice, once was really cold, well cold for down here anyway, highs in the 40s and rainy. The other time I went it was warm, sunshine, 60s.

On average I'd expect to see highs in the 50s, here's a chart of temps:

…amazonaws.com/production/reports/year/000/0…

7. Re: Boone Hall Oyster Fest 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, October 12, 2014