We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo trip to Charleston

GA
2 posts
Save Topic
Solo trip to Charleston

I'm going on a solo trip to Charleston/Isle of Palms and need suggestions for places to eat where I would feel comfortable alone.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo trip to Charleston

Do you want the restaurants to be in Mt. Pleasant?

If so.... Sette, Mustard Seed, Graze come to mind.

On Sullivan's Island - Poe's Tavern, Sullivan's.

I feel comfortable going anywhere really, except maybe the really high end restaurants. I take a magazine or book to look at to keep me occupied while I wait on the food.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo trip to Charleston

As a woman with two daughters, I cannot imagine any restaurant in historic Charleston, Isle of Palms, or Mt. Pleasant where you would feel even a little bit uncomfortable dining alone.

Charleston is a residential city and a family destination. Business people, shoppers, and visiting ladies whose spouses are off playing golf or fishing frequently dine alone.

Let us know more about your budget and taste in food, so we can make specific recommendations. Otherwise, my rule of thumb would be: If the place looks good, give it a try.

Isle of Palms
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo trip to Charleston

IOP - Boathouse's Crow's Nest is a nice spot for a cocktail at sunset for dolphin watching. Good seafood if you stay for dinner.

Sullivan's - Poe's (as mentioned before) makes excellent burgers and has a fun atmosphere with outdoor seating at the bar. Two newcomers to the area with great food and service: Taco Mamacita and Home Team BBQ.

Downtown - drinks on the roof of the Vendue Inn, good seafood at Hanks where you can sit at the communal table and make new friends in a casual setting, or just wonder down East Bay street and step into a place that feels right....you won't be unhappy with your choice.

Charleston in general is foodie heaven

Isle of Palms
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo trip to Charleston

Bambu in Mt. Pleasant has excellent sushi

GA
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo trip to Charleston

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really don't have a budget, but don't think I'll go to one of the high end places. I'm hoping to find some good seafood though!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo trip to Charleston

But you can if you want to. And if it's your first trip, treat yourself to something you can't get at home. It's easy to just walk around, read the posted menus, and try something new. Sit at the bar if sitting alone at a table makes you self-conscious.

I agree with adam b's recommendation for the communal table at Hank's. You'll make some new friends and have incredible seafood choices.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo trip to Charleston

I agree. The communal table at Hank's is great fun, and true Charleston dining experience.

8. Re: Solo trip to Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, May 02, 2014