We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Which Mount Pleasant hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Does this sound like a good plan?

Hi all-

We're leaving Thursday for the Mount Pleasant KOA. I'm very hesitant because of the back review posted here, but think we can make the best of things. We're spending a day in McClellanville with family, but wondered what were the must-sees, must-dos, and must-eats in the area. This is all of our first time to the Charleston area.

If you really think the KOA is horrible, let me know and I'll see about changing reservations.

We're a family of 4 with a 10- and 12-year old. Is there a public beach you recommend? We love the beach and hope we can make time for it.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this sound like a good plan?

I read the only post that there was and agree that the ant thing seems bad. Ants do love sandy soil for some reason - we see them on the way to the beach on all the paths that lead to the beach. If you have ant killer, I'd think that would put your mind at ease just in case you encounter the same problem. The pond/lake - I don't know if the reviewer planned to swim in it but I just wouldn't recommend that anywhere in the lowcountry for fear that there might be an alligator. Boating is fine, fishing is fine, but swimming in a lake...I don't think so. Save your swimming for the ocean - our beaches are beautiful.

Must eat - if you like seafood and a unique place, go to the Seewee Restaurant on the way back from McClellanville. (Opposite the "Garris Landing" site). I'd recommend you go on a "Barrier Island Ecotour" which leaves from Garris Landing. Your relatives, if they've been here a while, will know. I know I'm stereotyping but I'd imagine that if they live in McC-ville they probably have a boat, so you may not want to pay for an ecotour.

Mount Pleasant is a great place to vacation and it is a great place to live. We are blessed with great seafood and unique restaurants. Honestly I do not go to chain restaurants as our selections are better and cheaper. I wouldn't even know where to begin, but here are some value places with great food...

BREAKFAST: Boulevard Diner, Barbara Jean's, Charleston Bagel Company, Page's Okra Grill

LUNCH: Poe's Tavern, Papa Zuzu's, Boulevard Diner, Five Loaves Cafe, Melvin's Barbecue

DINNER: Locklear's, Mustard Seed, Long Point Grill, Charleston Crab House,

That's a start for food.

Must-do's - Beach at Isle of Palms, Boone Hall Farm (U-Pick); Boone Hall Plantation tour; Patriot's Point, Carriage Ride in Charleston, walking around the Battery Point in Charleston, Plantations, maybe your kids would want to see the Riverdogs, shopping at Towne Centre, movies, etc.

It's all good! You'll have a blast.

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this sound like a good plan?

if you like sea food and are going to be at MT pleasant you must eat at one of the restuarants at shimm creek. My favorite is the vickory but you will enjoy anyone you try. If you do eat at the vickory then have them seat you on the back deck. You can see the large bridge and the creek. If you time it right you can watch the shrimp boats return. I advise that you get there early as shim creek fills up fast. Super cheap meal there is a Harris Teeter on the island. All H-Ts have 2 6 inch subs per day that are 2:49 each. These are better than subway.

Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this sound like a good plan?

Our trip is going to be so wonderful thanks to all of your suggestions and ideas. Tripadvisor is the best! My 81-year young great uncle still lives in the house that my now-deceased grandfather and he were born. He's the family in McClellenville and no longer boats. The eco-tour suggestion is PERFECT! Granddaddy always told stories of his adventures paddling around McClellenville, camping on islands, seeing all kinds of wildlife, etc. Now we'll have a chance to see the coast through his eyes. If anyone's curious, we're trying out the all-inclusive tour from this website: http://www.nature-tours.com/trips.html.

I'm so glad to hear about the shrimp boats coming in; that was also an important part of growing up in McClellenville that fascinates me.

If you get any other crazy ideas, I'd love to hear them! Thanks again for your help-

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this sound like a good plan?

I was in McClellanville just today and was amazed at how comfortable the dolphins are in approaching people in small boats. I know that dolphins love to hang around shrimp boats, so you don't have to look hard (at high tide) to see dolphins. (They do seem to search for deeper water when the tide is out) There is so much wildlife in the area you'll just love it. If you like to fish, you can fish without a license off the dock (Garris Landing is a good place in Awendaw) Enjoy your stay!

Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this sound like a good plan?

We are having the time of our lives here in Mt. Pleasant. Here's what we've done:

Thursday - We went to the Charleston visitor's center and signed up for a tour from Doin' the Charleston. It was nice. I would've loved a horse and carriage tour, but I don't think we would've covered as much ground. Here's the website: http://www.dointhecharlestontours.com/

It was a good tour.

For dinner, we ate at The Loop, a pizza place that was terrific. Their pizza was unique. It's a new chain which I'm sure will grow in the next few years. Great place for family dining. It has something for everyone.

Friday - The eco-tour we reserved was canceled. The guy said storms were coming, but it didn't happen. Although they were in the forecast, I wonder if the tour was canceled due to no one else signing up. Anyway, we learned of Garris Landing's Ferry going to Bull Island. It was cheaper and so beautifully wonderful! I STRONGLY recommend taking this ecotrip. We were 4 of 7 people who went to the island. We found 20+ whelks, some sand dollars, horseshoe crab shells, alligators, and other wonderful things at this secluded island. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable of the birds, wildlife and area. He spoke the whole boat ride to and from the island. Lots of hands-on bones, shells, skulls, etc. on the boat for children to experience. We even saw some dolphins swim with us. Wear tennis shoes and be prepared to walk. Take bug spray, water, and snacks, but pack lightly so you can carry back all of your shell treasures.

SeeWee Restaurant - what an INCREDIBLE restaurant. This place was recommended by our guide and was right at the turn to go to Garris Landing. Fried pickles, clam strips, flounder, scallops, collard greens, fried mushrooms, fried green tomatoes, etc. It was the BEST. Don't be fooled by the looks of the place. I wish I would've tried the she-crab soup. It looks run-down, but it's worth trying!

We're going to spend the rest of the trip in McClellanville visiting. Thanks again for your suggestions. The eco-tour was a terrific idea and something we'd like to try where ever we venture in the future!! It was the highlight of our trip and is a must!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this sound like a good plan?

I do hope you get out to Poe's Tavern if it's not raining tonight. If it does rain, it'll be a good day to go to Locklear's, Mustard Seed, or Longpoint Grill.

How is the KOA by the way?

Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this sound like a good plan?

The KOA is pretty good. There's a trail around the lake and we've seen deer, alligators, rabbits, and huge spiders with their webs. My son even saw some turkeys. The staff hasn't really impressed me. I haven't seen a smile or had a nice welcome, but nothing really negative so that might be unfair to say.

Thanks for your recommendations. We'd love to try those places. Are they in Mount Pleasant?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this sound like a good plan?

Poe's is on Sullivan's Island, and Locklear's and Mustard Seed are near each other (but on perpendicular streets) over near the Whole Foods.

9. Re: Does this sound like a good plan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 01, 2009