We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Length of beaches?

Which Isle of Palms hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Length of beaches?

we're heading to IOP for a family holiday and i'm wondering how long the beaches are? i'm a runner and am hoping to be able to run barefoot on the beach for a long stretch. thanks! btw, i don't know the name of the beach closest to the house we've rented, but if you could tell me the name of the beach and approximate length, i'd really appreciate it. thanks!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,795 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Length of beaches?

IOP is approx. 6.5 miles long, the entire ocean side of the island will be beach. There are no names of the beach ~ it is simply "the beach". :-)

Lexington...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Length of beaches?

thank you so much! sounds perfect!!!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Length of beaches?

Check the tides to see when it may be the widest.

Isle of Palms...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Length of beaches?

The beach is 7 miles long. I would urge you to check the tide before you run each day you do. You will want to run on a low tide or an outgoing tide. There is a link to the Tide Chart on the City's website www.iop.net . Also, I want to mention that running barefoot is fine, but if it is hot, getting off the beach through the hot dunes and boardwalks, streets and sidewalks will be uncomfortable. i would recommend leaving a pair of flip flops at your start and termination if you are going to run down and back to avoid burned feet. The beach will be comfortable, but the sand dunes and boardwalks get uncomfortably hot. There are free maps of the island at City Hall. You may wish to secure one of those to aid you in your adventures. Linda Tucker

5. Re: Length of beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 25, 2014