We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

We just checked in today for a week stay at Wild DUnes. Thought I'd post my initial impressions since we are in for the evening and the baby is fast asleep.

Check in was painless, took 5 minutes. OUr room was ready early (1:30), valet promptly brough all our bags up. We reserved a crib, highcair and exersaucer from Babies Away for our 7 month old. All were here and set up and very satisfactory.

The room is very nice and large (1 bedroom suite in the Village). Read lots of reports about dirty carpet, rooms being worn, etc. It's all very nice nad clean. The porch has three wicker chairs. There's a large dining table and about 6 chairs in here. A sofa bed, large cofee table, flat screen tv and another 2 chairs and samll table. Bedroom is a little on the smaller side but big enough for us. Very nice! If i had to say something about hte room it would be instead of having so many chairs a nice chair and ottman would be nice for tv watching. Although, my husband i have the sofa pulled out into a bed to watch tv and it's working well! The kitchen on the other hand is much larger than it looks in the photos of the 1 bedroom, and is so nice!

Our son was beat from traveling and a little crabby so all we did todya was explore teh resort, eat lunch at Sea Island Grill and get to go sandwiches from Hudson's Market. We were the only ones at the Sea Island Grill (3:30 p.m.), good service and very nice outside seating with a cool breeze. Menu was just so-so, not much to choose from and a little too fancy. We had to order off the lounge menu but they let me get a chicken Cobb salad from the lunch menu. It was as good as chicken cobb salad could probably be. My husband got the pork tamale and it was just ok. We probably won't eat here again at least not for dinner. A little too fancy for us. We got sandwiches for dinner from Hudson's Market. I got the chicken salad sandwich my husband got roast beef. His roast beef was good - they use Boar's Head lunchmeat. My chicken salad was pretty bland. it was 30 for the food and a small dessert. Tomorrow we plan to go to whole foods and the grocery store to get stome stuff.

We tried to go to lunch at Taco Mamacita when we first came into town but it was packed and we couldn't find a parking space, that's why we at at the Sea Grill.

As others said, and i expected, the pools are a bit lackluster. Pretty old looking and do not look big enough for the resort. Boardwalk Inn pool - which we arnet' supposed to use - was about 50% full today. Beach wasn't real crowded. One of the grand pavillion pools was closed today at 2:30 due to a wedding (i guess Peyton and Chris from the Bachelor are getting married here today) and the other pool had a bachelor party going and was pretty rowdy and small, cheap looking charis, etc. However i did see that a new pool is coming in fall of 2012, which will be nice. So far I'm very happy with Wild Dunes, it has either met or exceeded my expectations as far as the room.

Thinking maybe we'll go to Paige's Okra Grill for breakfast tomorrow. I remember reading it's a bit busy so we'll see how crowded and how my son does. So far Isle of Palms seems great.

Mentioned in this post
Wild Dunes Resort
Wild Dunes Resort
4,441 Reviews
Isle of Palms, SC
Isle of Palms
Isle of Palms
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Welcome! I know you've been really looking forward to this. I hope you got to watch that moon rise!

It's Cinco di Mayo, so I knew that Taco Mamacita would be nuts.

You may have a wait at Paige's, but breakfast is good, and there are seats for people waiting. Have fun.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Go to Okra Grill prior to 9am to avoid the crowd.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Thanks! Paige's was fabulous! We got there at 8:50 and waited five minutes. I had the Shem Creek omlet - which was great. Mly husband had the shrimp and grits - which, having only had grits at Cracker Barrell - i did not think would be good. OH MY GOD! The sauce, the sausage, all of it. It was to die for! I have to go back agian for shrimp and grits! Any other places where they are that good?

Now that I'm here all my restaurant planning is out the window. We can't possibly eat lunch here at Wild Dunes every day, such a boring, limited menlu. We went to Harris Teeter and picked up some basics, but everything is so close that it really is no big deal for us to leave to eat. Ate lunch again here, room service. I had the Cobb Salad - again - nothing else to thrilling. Hlusband had chicken burritto which was good. We were going to go to Sullivan's tonight, but now i'm craving Taco Mamacita! We will see what happens around 5:30!

Mentioned in this post
Shem Creek Inn
Shem Creek Inn
162 Reviews
Mount Pleasant, SC
Wild Dunes Resort
Wild Dunes Resort
4,441 Reviews
Isle of Palms, SC
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

And we have another convert! So glad you enjoyed your first S&G.

Breakfast and lunch at SeaBiscuit on IOP is way better than hotel food.

Old Village Post House in Mt. P has S&G during happy hour (5-7) for $8. They have a nice outdoor patio. The S&G at Boulevard Diner is good too, if you like cheese grits.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Many restaurants around here have shrimp & grits and not just for breakfast. Everyone has a slightly different recipe, so you can eat it every day and it will all be different. Locklear's on Coleman Blvd in Mt. P has good s & g also. Have to say tho, I don't think the S & G at Seabiscuit are all that good. Years ago they used to have awesome S & G, but over the years it changed and just is not as good, IMO.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Thanks! Couldn't find parking st Taco Mamacita so we ended up at Sullivan's. Very quick service, got right in. It was good but u don't know that I'd make a beeline back. She crab soup was really good, salad and coleslaw blah. Had the fried shrimp and flounder and it was ok. No my husband thought it was great, he had the Seven Layer Seafood Pasta. In all fairness, I don't live fried food And I'm not even sure why that's what I ordered?!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Sullivan's is a nice family place. It's ok for Sunday supper. I can't remember-do you have a kitchen? I ran into my shrimper friend last night and the official shrimp season starts tomorrow. Shrimp right off the boat is a real treat.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

Atlanticville, Boathouse, Boulevard Diner, Mustard Seed, Red Drum, Poes Tavern...all places to put on the radar.

Mentioned in this post
Mustard Seed
Mustard Seed
318 Reviews
Mount Pleasant, SC
Red Drum
Red Drum
280 Reviews
Mount Pleasant, SC
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

We do have a full kitchen at the Village.

Beth - I have a reservation at the Boathouse for Friday, our last night, at 5:30. Red Drum is the restaurant that I really liked their menu. However i wasn's sure if it would be ok for a child. Our son is 7 months. At Paige's he slept most of the time, then woke up and was very good, lots of people to look at. Now at Sulivan's tonight he cried and had to be held so mly husband and i had to take turns eating while the other one walked around outside with him. The only other reservation we have is for Tuesday at Coast. We are taking our son in to Charleston to the Children's Museum and Aquarium. Also plan to do Charleston another day to explore the Market, carriage ride. Not sure where we'll eat or whether it will be lunch and/or dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Red Drum
Red Drum
280 Reviews
Mount Pleasant, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wild Dunes - Trip Report - 1st Day

If you take the Coleman Blvd. route back to IOP from town you could stop by Shem Creek and get some shrimp. I was walking down by the dock today and all the boats were out at 6:30. Just boil them for 3 minutes, get some cocktail sauce, peel and eat.

On Tuesday, if you get done with supper before dark, the Mt Pleasant Farmers Market will still be open. I got great strawberries last Tuesday.

Mentioned in this post
Shem Creek Inn
Shem Creek Inn
162 Reviews
Mount Pleasant, SC
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Palms