We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic getaway

Which Isle of Palms hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
freeport
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
romantic getaway

My husband and I are looking for a place for a getaway for just the 2 of us in Oct. Thinking of Isle of Palms vs Sullivans Island. Don't know anything about either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,526 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: romantic getaway

Sullivan's Island has no hotels. Only homes and very few condo's to rent. None of the condo's are ocean front. It is primarily a residential island with most of the homes being permanent residents. Does have several very good restaurants together in the same area, not ocean front tho.

The Isle of Palms has 3 hotels and many homes, condo's to rent. IOP also has about 5,000 permanent full time residents. Several restaurants, altho I think for the most part that the ones on Sullivan's are better. Boathouse on IOP is very good and has nice views of the marsh and sunset.

Wild Dunes is a gated community on one end of IOP, you may want to consider that. There is one hotel and homes/condos available.

In summer most of the homes/condos (on all the islands) rent for a week at the time, however in Oct it should be easy to find something for a long weekend, etc , if you will not be here for a week.

All of the islands have very nice beaches and depending on when in Oct you might still get weather warm enough to lie on the beach. If not, it will be warm enough to walk the beach in jeans.

Here are some links to consider....

www.wilddunes.com

www.palmscharleston.com

www.seasideinniop.com (these are "condotels" with units privately owned)

www.vrbo.com

www.boathouserestaurants.com

www.highthymecuisine.com

www.poestavern.com

www.nature-tours.com

Edited: 10:47 am, July 17, 2011
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: romantic getaway

The East Coast has some great coastal destinations. You could visit Tybee Island which is a short drive from historic Savannah, GA. You could visit St. Simons Island, GA near Brunswick or you could visit Amelia Island, FL. IOP is nice and it's close to a great city. Good luck.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: romantic getaway

October is a lovely and romantic month to visit the Charleston area. The sun is still strong, so you will likely have some good beach weather. Evenings are cooler, and great for just strolling around. For all these reasons, our daughter and son-in-law chose October 2006 for their Kiawah Island wedding.

Isle of Palms is only about 20 minutes from the Charleston's historic district, and Seabrook is about 40 minutes. Driving into town is very easy. While you are in Charleston, you might enjoy taking one of the Preservation Society's October evening tours of private homes and gardens - www.preservationsociety.org/tour_dates.asp

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: romantic getaway

OOPS! Don't know why I had Seabrook on the brain!

I should have said that Sullivan's Island, which is right next to IOP, is also about a 20 minute drive into town.

freeport
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: romantic getaway

Thanks for all the info. Isle of Palms it is. Can't wait.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
482 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: romantic getaway

It's not the beach, but one of our (Charleston) DE's recently reviewed their weekend on a sailboat, sounds romantic to me: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54171-i105-k46582…

Edited: 11:17 pm, July 21, 2011
7. Re: romantic getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 04, 2012