We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinks on the beach

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Drinks on the beach

is there anywhere in IOP you can have alcoholic drinks on the beach? Last year I was about arrested by this jerk of a cop cause i had a beer poured in a cup and he saw me pour it in there and said either i empty it there and throw it away or he was taking me to jail. I've been to many beaches and have never had an issue and found this to be rather crazy. Thanks for any advice

Tidalwave Watersports
River Rafting & Tubing, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Parasailing & Paragliding, Water Sports, Boat Rentals
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,917 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinks on the beach

No legal alcohol on beach. Mostly to prevent drunken teenagers and jerks.

Coolers are allowed, no glass bottles.

I have heard of people taking pre-mixed drinks in a plastic bottle ie- rum and coke, fruit juice and rum, etc.

Daniel Island...
Level Contributor
324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinks on the beach

Though possessing and consuming alcohol on the beach is not legal, it is of course done. My beach time is spent in front of my condo in Wild Dunes. Though it is a private community, the beaches are patrolled by IOP police. I have rarely seen them on the beach other than early in the morning and late in the afternoon. I'm sure it is different nearer the pier. Most folks use coolers of premixed drinks or if it is beer, cozies that don't have beer logos.

I think the important thing to bear in mind is that it is illegal. If one chooses to drink they expose themselves to the possibility of being caught. The cop is only doing his/her job and the choices we all make do have consequences.

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinks on the beach

Is a Bubba keg a good way of taking alcohol or beer on the beach? Did not know this was an issue or I would have never booked IOP. Anyways its a friends home. Did not cost me anything.8^)

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinks on the beach

And no fireworks are allowed on the beach on IOP.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,917 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinks on the beach

Not familiar with a "bubba keg" - but if it looks like a mini keg, no it's not a good idea.

Anything that looks like alcohol, ie beer can, beer bottle, etc will draw attention from patrols and get confiscated.

No glass allowed on beach.

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinks on the beach

Bubba Keg is a big insulated mug. Guess I better just have my wine and drinks in our home. Thanks for keeping me out of trouble as I respect your laws as we all should.

Daniel Island...
Level Contributor
324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinks on the beach

Orange, In reference to your post "I would have never booked IOP"

I don't think any public beach in South Carolina "allows" alcohol on the beach. It is done and I don't think it becomes an issue unless it is done blatantly or the folks become obnoxious.

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinks on the beach

I am a guest of friends and look forward to checking out the historical adventures instead of beaches. I know I will find great food.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinks on the beach

OK, as was explained in earlier posts, drinking on the beach is illegal. If you really must consume alcohol and look at the ocean at the same time, rent a front beach property and sit on the porch.

That cop is doing his job.

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drinks on the beach

shanklemsw _ I said I plan to repect your laws as I would expect you to obay our local laws. I can drink my wine at dinner. 8^)

I am not really a beach person, but my wife and son are. We usually go to the Caribbean to ST John USVI and I scuba or snorkel. I am in the travel business and evaluate properties for several tour companies.

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Palms