We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Wild Dunes

Washington
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at Wild Dunes

I just stayed at Wild Dunes this past week at Seascape and the beach looks fantastic. The beach restoration they did is amazing. I have been vacationing at Wild Dunes for over 15 years and I have never seen the beach so wide. Really great job and a great place that I would recommend to all.

Tidalwave Watersports
River Rafting & Tubing, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Parasailing & Paragliding, Water Sports, Boat Rentals
Temple, TX
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at Wild Dunes

I am helping my boss look for a beach vacation spot for her, her nephew and wife and two daughters -- who want the beach and beach activities. I came across Wild Dunes, but could not tell if this is something for a 17 and 19 year old as far as beach activities. Also, would there be something for my boss to do -- she does not sunbathe, etc.

Would appreciate any help you could give me.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at Wild Dunes

Hi, I live on the Isle of Palms. Anywhere on the island will have nice beaches for "beach activities"

ie - swimming, walking, looking for shells, surf board, boogie board, etc. More towards the center of the island there is an area with some shopping(surf shop and others) and restaurants. This may appeal to the teenagers more. There are nice houses available to rent in easy walking distance to this area. Also some hotels and condos.

About a 10-15 min drive away in Mt. Pleasant Towne Center - a large, open air shopping mall. It has many stores (national chains and boutiques) a number of restaurants and a large cinema. Plenty to do there for non beach people. Of course, downtown Charleston is also not far(15-20min) with shopping, eating and tons of historical things to see and/or do.

Lots of people who are not "beach people" enjoy going out on the beach for long walks early or late in the day when the sun is not strong and there are few people on the beach. Very relaxing.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at Wild Dunes

When I said "center of the island" above - I meant length wise - these areas are still right on the beach.

Temple, TX
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at Wild Dunes

Thanks. Do you know anything about Wild Dunes?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at Wild Dunes

I really don't know that much about it.  It is a gated community with a resort ie golf course, pool, etc. There is a hotel with spa, etc and also condos to rent.  Since I live on the island, I don't have much reason to be in that part of the island. : )

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at Wild Dunes

If you search the forum for "wild dunes" you should come up with tons of info.

Daniel Island...
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach at Wild Dunes

TD - Wild Dunes is really sort of three fairly distinct places. As Sunshine said, it is a gated community on the north end of IOP. From the time you enter at the main gate until you get to the Boardwalk Inn, WD is predominately year-round residents and I'm sure a few folks who use their property as a second or seasonal home. The Boardwalk Inn and the Villages constitute what I consider the center of the community and are properties of Destination Wild Dunes, a Destination Hotels and Resorts property. They are members of the WD Community Association. They also own or at least control the amenities within the community including 2 championship golf courses designed by Tom Fazio, a bunch of HarTru tennis courts (WD is recognized as a "Top 10" tennis destination), a couple of restaurants, spa, etc. Past the "resort" there is a mixture of full time residents and vacation rentals. Beginning with Beach Club Villas and going north are a number of condo communities mot of which have an ocean front or at least a partial ocean view.

If you go to www.wilddunes.com you will see a very good web site but keep in mind the site is run by Destination Wild Dunes. The properties they list are the BW Inn, the Villages and some of the vacation rentals who list with them. There are a good number of other property managers including Carolina Coastal Properties, Island Realty, ResortQuest and Beachside Rentals to name a few.

If your boss wants to go first class, the cream of the crop condos are in Ocean Club. They are the newest. They were the most expensive at their initial offering and are generally luxurious. Keep in mind that every condo is individually owned and what you find on the interior will vary depending on the owner's desire and or ability to offer a premium experience.

Generally speaking the farther north you go on the island the fewer people will be on the beach. It's more densely developed around the BW Inn than farther north.

8. Re: Beach at Wild Dunes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Palms