We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

Have booked a condo in the 'Village' (booked privately & negoiated a great rate!) for myself, my husband & 2 kids aged 12 & 10 arriving on 4 July for 10 days. Incidentally, in response to another question posted about sports card - I was unsure about what was complimentary and what we were expected to pay for so checked and my agent told me we had access to 2 pools, gym and tennis for free?? Apart from the normal holiday activities during the day can anyone suggest some great family restaurants to visit or other fun things to do in the evening? My husband and son are golfers? I assume from what I've read that we will have to travel into Charleston for mall shopping (love it!) cinema etc. What activities are there on IOP that we should consider? Has anyone done the dolphin tour? Suggestions very gratefully received. Many, many thanks.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

There isn't much in the way of "mall shopping" in the Charleston area (the outlet mall is about 8 miles or so up I26).

The first place to start, if you want to shop is in the Historic District. There are tons of little specialty shops there, along with galleries, museums, restaurants, etc. plenty to keep you busy on a quest to shop. If hubby and kids want other things to do, they can wander off on their own pursuits to explore in the same area, then just meet back up for lunch.

Go to the Visitors Center to find out about activities (museums, plantations, tours, etc.).

www.charlestoncvb.com

Here's a map of the HD...

www.charlestoncvb.com/pdf/chaspenmap.pdf

Tours abound in Charleston, the first suggestion is generally a carriage tour, then possibly a trip to Ft. Sumter (boat trip). I always like to suggest a three masted schooner, some thing a little different...

http://www.schoonerpride.com/index.cfm

Charleston is a very family friendly town, so most restaurants are suitable for kids. You might try The Boathouse at Breach Inlet, it's at the other end of IOP from Wild Dunes...

boathouserestaurants.com/breach_inlet.php…

This would be a good place to meet up for lunch in town...

http://www.fleetlanding.net/index.php

Right on the water, kids would enjoy!

Here's a source for a wonderful kayak trip, he takes no more than 6 people at a time. If you call Ralph, tell him you heard about him from Beth...

www.kayakcharleston.net

Since you will be in town for ten days, here's my suggestion for a day of fun and a more rural look at the Lowcountry...

You can spend a day exploring the area south of Charleston (John's Island, Wadmawlaw Island)...

Take a dolphin tour in the marshes (I personally like this a whole lot better than the dolphin tours in the harbor, it's a beautiful location), call them to arrange ahead of time. They depart from the Cherry Point Landing where there is a shrimp dock, as well (take a cooler, good prices)...

http://www.bohicketboat.com/

You can hit the Angel Oak on the way...

http://www.angeloaktree.org/

The only tea plantation in the United States...

http://www.bigelowtea.com/act/

And the winery...

http://www.charlestonwine.com/

All this is within an hour or so of IOP. You can take a picnic (there is a park area at Cherry Point w/tables, there are tables at the winery and I think at Angel Oak) or stop at one of the local restaurants...

http://www.jbssmokeshack.com/

http://www.thefathen.com/

Could add up to a great day!

Believe me, you won't need to worry about going to see movies (cinema) while visiting Charleston. You'll stay plenty busy during the day and evening (won't get dark till after 8:30 or so) and pretty much be ready to relax after dinner.

We'll be in town at the same time, staying in HD for 2 nights so we can see the fireworks on July 4th (there will be crowds, but you might want to do it, even though it's your first day)before heading out to Kiawah Island.

All this should get you thinking, have a great trip!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

Wow!! Thank you SO much for all that information! I always checkwith tripadviser before planning our holidays and the information is always amazing! Thanks for taking the time to give me such comprehensive information!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

There is PLENTY of shopping right over the bridge from Isle of Palms. Your first stop will be Target then at the 2nd light, you have the Towne Center that has everything you need...Old Navy, Banana Republic, Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, Chico's, local boutiques, etc. etc.

You also have a short drive to the Shem Creek area with lots of waterfront dining. From here, you can go downtown with MORE shopping...

You are going to love it. Your golfers are going to love the abundance of beautiful golf courses!

**Culturehound help me out!! :)

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

One more thing to add....

I meant to say over the Isle of Palms bridge into Mt. Pleasant.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

m2mboys - you did great!

Gemdigger - you do NOT need to travel to Charleston to shop. I wouldn't bother going to the outlet mall when Towne Center shopping mall (a very very lovely outdoor mall) is SO CLOSE to where you're staying. Much shopping and dining, plus a multi-screen movie theater - and only 3-4 minutes from downtown IOP so only 8-10 minutes from Wild Dunes. http://www.mountpleasanttownecentre.com/ I think you'll find the prices to be generally very good - the outlets lately (and I've shopped them recently) are a bit over-rated - you can get great deals at "regular" stores now. Wouldn't bother going to West Ashley as shopping there is so spread out you'd be getting in and out of cars all the time - stick to Towne Center.

Golf - several places - there are 2 courses on Wild Dunes (very good!) and several courses nearby - Charleston National (5 minutes from Towne Center) and Dunes West and Rivertowne. Patriot's Point is another public course - close to Shem Creek.

Activities - here is a quick list - mini-golf, eco-tours, Hunley, Shem Creek, water parks, cooking classes, offshore fishing trips, crabbing, walking historic tours, Wild Bird Sanctuary, Seewee Environmental Ed Center (wolves), Patriot's Point, Plantations, etc.

Quick local restaurant list for families: Boulevard Diner, Poe's Tavern, Mustard Seed, Long Point Grill, Locklear's, Los Arcos, Brixx Pizza, Paige's Okra Grill, - and those are the non-chain restaurants (we have most of the American chain restaurants, such as Outback Steakhouse, Chili's, Applebees, On the Border, Longhorn Steakhouse,TGI Friday's, IHOP, etc.

I'm happy to explain any of the things I mentioned above - I don't know how much you've researched to date.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,296 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

Hi, I live on IOP. No need to go downtown for fireworks - IOP has and excellent 4th of July fireworks show. It is done near the pier area.

From our dock we can see the fireworks at Patriots Point, Sullivan's Island and IOP and last year IOP was better than Patriots Point.

Personal fireworks are illegal on IOP, so don't let the kids talk you into buying some.

Daniel Island...
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

First, Sports Cards. The Boardwalk Inn and the Village are basically properties of Destination Wild Dunes and Sports cards are mechanisms for other properties to offer the ammenities you mentioned. With the card there is still a usage fee but this doesn't apply to those two properties.

I think you will enjoy the Village and hope you are fortunate enough to get a unit with at least a partial ocean view. The units are new and from what I am told, very nice.

You can get your fill of shopping at Mt. Pleasant Town Center. Town Center is located at the intersection of the IOP Connector and Rte 17 which by the way is not particularly close to the center of the town of Mt. Pleasant. There is a cinema complex there as well.

I agree with the notion that you should try the shopping downtown. The Boathouse is a great place to eat and a good place to watch a sunset over the marsh. You should also consider Station 22 for a meal, Poe's Tavern for a burger and the Sea Biscuit for breakfast.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

Locals...I'm not saying there's not shopping in the Charleston surrounding area, yes, there's all the fairly new stuff across the bridge(and it is very nice), but if I were traveling from a different country, I think the shops and galleries that are unique to the area (and there are some of those in Mt. P, as well) would be a heck of a lot more interesting than all the chain stores, many of which have internet access so are pretty much all over the world.

Charleston shopping has improved sooooo much in the last few years and I'm soooooo glad, since it's not too much longer and we'll be there full time!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

Can I just say thank you SOOOO much.... everyone! We will definitely try out ALL the shopping both on IOP and Charleston. I am SOOO excited!!! May come back with some specific questions on the golfing etc. but meantime please accept my sincere thanks for everything posted so far.

10. Re: July in Wild Dunes - suggestions grateful?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:43 am, November 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Palms