We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Ordinance for IOP proposed

Which Isle of Palms hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
New Ordinance for IOP proposed

There was an article in the local paper that everyone should know about who is planning to visit the Isle of Palms ...

postandcourier.com/news/…

Please help spread this message to people you see on the beach who aren't being environmentally conscious.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Ordinance for IOP proposed

CultureHound,

Does IOP have a beach patrol? An ordinance seems a little extreme for me. But I guess if common sense no longer exists...

Over the years of "beach combing", I can't tell you how much trash I've picked up. And some good trash...like the Eddie Bauer sunglasses, perfectly good beach chairs and umbrellas, sand toys...

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Ordinance for IOP proposed

Do you mean Police who patrol the beach? Yes - they use police vehicles, and therein lies one of the problems. Sometimes the holes are hard to see, and sometimes they're hard to miss (people leave enormous holes) as the vehicles drive the beach.

We walk the beach sometimes just before sunrise and I can tell you from experience that the holes really are dangerous. It does seem a shame that there has to be an ordinance - you would think people could do it just because they should know better, like not leaving dog poop, toy wrappers or water bottles (all of which I saw yesterday).

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Ordinance for IOP proposed

IOP might take a page from SBI;-) Last summer our turtle patrol purchase magnets for every home (granted we are a little smaller island).

I have my magnet on the refrig so my family, friends and guests can easily review the do's and don'ts of the beach.

Until I started learning about the sea turtles, I never thought about the moats, trenches, holes we created when building our sand-castles.

Communication and education...we only have one planet Earth;-)

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Ordinance for IOP proposed

Oh - here's an update on the beach patrol on IOP thing... I was there the other day and the Beach Patrol drove the beach in the afternoon in their jeep-type vehicle on a popular beach day, stopping at the coolers of larger groups of teens/college age kids. I don't know for sure, but I'm 99 percent sure the group near me was asked to show the contents of their cooler. Just an FYI!

5. Re: New Ordinance for IOP proposed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, September 24, 2009