We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

Boston
Level Contributor
78 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

Hi, My family of 4 (includes 2 teenagers)are very much looking forward to our 5 night visit to Charleston/Isle of Palms this June. I thought we should spend the entire time staying at Isle of Palms. However, it seems impossible to get a 5 night condo rental and the hotels don't get very good reviews on TripAdvisor. So would you recommend that we stay in Charleston for 5 nights or gamble a 5 night hotel stay in Isle of Palms? Any thoughts and recommendations would be most appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Isle of Palms
Isle of Palms
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

Your decision may depend upon what nights you are staying. Most condos/cottages rent only Saturday to Saturday, or Sunday to Sunday. If your stay overlaps a weekend (i.e. Thursday to Monday) you will probably have more success in booking a hotel.

If your 5-night stay is contained between two weekends, be aware that many "weekly" rates for cottages and condos are discounted over the "nightly" rates. You are essentially getting a night, or two, for free. Add to this your savings on the meals that you will prepare at home, and you may come out ahead with the weekly rate on the condo.

Alternatively, book the hotel to secure the nights, but keep watching for availability in condos. June is high season, but it is not the HIGHEST season. Closer to your dates of travel, there may be more flexibility in arrival/departure dates if the places have not booked up.

Also, check the availability calendars in the listings on rent-from-owner sites like VRBO. Most owners would be happy to rent for 5 nights rather than let their places stay empty.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

I've discovered that VRBO is THE way to go!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

That's great! Have fun.

Hickory, NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

Be careful booking condos in Wild Dunes through VRBO. Some of the owners are not telling people about the severe beach erosion in the Wild Dunes northern section. Be sure that the condo you are renting has beach access if that is important to you.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

Try calling Wild Dunes and staying at the Boardwalk Inn? It's gorgeous there and lots to do! Rent bikes and explore the resort!

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
830 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

Depends on what everyone has the most interest in. Obviously the beach is a great family spot. It might be a nice break to stay downtown a couple of nights though. Check out the following website that has hotels in several areas of Charleston, including the Isle of Palms.

www.charlestonhotelguide.com

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Isle of Palms
Isle of Palms
Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
17 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

If you want to stay on the beach, the Holiday Inn Express was pretty good when my wife and I stayed there five years ago. We were shopping for our house then. We live here now and have not heard anything bad about it.

If staying ON the beach is not important, there are several hotels within 3 miles of the beach on the Isle of Palms connector in Mount Pleasant. I believe they are Hampton and Marriott properties.

There are also a few hotels near the bridge to Charleston. They are nice and in semi-residential neighborhoods. They will have Johnnie Dodds addresses. I think they are equally inconvenient to downtown Charleston and the beaches. There had been some crime there last year (2007). I have not heard about anything in quite a while.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Palms
Isle of Palms
Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Charleston
Charleston
8. Re: Isle of Palms/Charleston Dilema!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:24 am, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Palms