We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

mooresville, nc
7 posts
Save Topic
Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

I just booked a last minute trip for the holidays, arriving Dec. 23, staying for (up to) 7 days @ Spinnaker Shipyard. We have 2 sons, 16 &17, looking for some fun family activities as well as some things the boys can do on their own so dad and I can do our own thing too. I know golfing will be one event my three men will want to do, I don't golf, but like to ride and watch - any suggestions on nice, but not terribly expensive courses they could look into?

Also, was wondering if there are any reccomended riding stables in the area? We will be driving so getting around is not a problem. Would also be interested in some water tours if they are running this time of year? Dinner cruises or something? Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated! Thanx!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

Riding Stables - Lawton Stables is in Sea Pines and should meet ypur needs.

Golf - usually comes with Spinnaker TS resorts. You can play at Shipyard, Port Royal, Oyster Reef (Recommend) and Palmetto Hall in one package. Courses are not open on Christmas day, though many people walk.

Cruises to Savannah and some Dolphin Tours are available some days.

Stan (hhiguy)

\

mooresville, nc
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

Thanx for the advice! Golf is not included in our stay @ Spinnaker as we are using RCI points.

As far as Cruises to Savannah, who runs these thst you would reccomend? And we DEFINITELY want to do the Dolphins! IS Captain Zodiac the only company that offers this? I have read good reviews about them here on this site.

I have seen some places advertising "Teen Nights" and I wondered if these were mainly a seasonal thing or if there are programs all year long, and if so, could someone reccomend any? Our boys are 16 & 17, and have been on several cruises where they have enjoyed participating in this type of entertainment and meeting new people.

And one last BIG Question! - WHERE, if ANYWHERE might we be able to eat dinner on Christmas? I would prefer not to have to cook if I don't have to! Thanks again for the great advice I have seen here, from everyones input, as well as the reply I have received from you HHIguy!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

Also looking for Lunch/Dinner suggestions for Christmas Day on HHI.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

Most restaurants have special Christmas eve dinners, but will be closed Christmas day.

You will be able to eat at the hotels, most of which have buffets, and the Diner which is the only eating establishment which runs 24/7.

Sticky Fingers may also have a community dinner, payable by donation only.

Stan (hhiguy)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

Dear mecjlc:

We too will be in Hilton Head over xmas using RCI Points. Too cool. Anyway, there is a skate park, if your guys skateboard, can't remember exactly where I found that out. We have done the dolphin kayak cruise. Good. We also did the sailboat dolphin cruise, Stars and Stripes, don't know if they will be operational or not. That was FANTASTIC. Our son will be 15 in Feb and he loved it. You HAVE to eat at Wild Wing near Coligny Plaza. That is very close to where you are staying I think, Pope Avenue area? Anyway, the Holiday Inn at Pope traffic circle and North/south Forest Beach have a beach volley ball net. There might be people there to play volleyball with on the beach. The bike riding is great! We rode a lot and it's especially nice to ride on the beach.

We too are needing to find places to eat xmas eve and xmas day. The hotel restaurants was a good suggestion from Stan.

Don't arrive after dark if you've never been to the island before. You'll probably get rear-ended or something because it is SO hard to find your way around because they do not allow much signage on 278. Hope you have GPS, but even still, it's hard. They also have round-abouts or traffic circles that many people have never negotiated before. My husband is from England, so no problem.

Anyway, have a great time.

D in Muskoka.

SC
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

Our favorite restaurant CQ's will be open Christmas Day. We have already booked a reservation. As Stan said most everyone is open Christmas Eve

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

I got a reply back from Wild Wing. They are closed Xmas day and are typically closing early between noon and 3 p.m. on Xmas Eve. They said they will be open during regular business hours before Xmas Eve and after Xmas Day (11 a.m. to 2 a.m.)

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

You could contact the closest Publix and order a Christmas Dinner (do it early) and then all you need to do is heat it up.

hilton head
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

hey try capt woody's restaurant...great local spot! kids will love it but great fresh fish very reasonable...a nice spot for dinner is catch 22....make reservation before 6:30 pm for specials and reasonable!!! very good! walk the beach!!! it is gorgeous! have breakfast at sunrise grill next to capt woodys....for sure rent bikes!!! fabulous bike paths...also try truffles while in sea pines...great xmas lights on dove street on north forest beach and good lights @ south beach in sea pines!!! enjoy...it is a fabulous island!!!

north carolina
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming For Christmas - Need Advice!

A must-do on HHI at Christmas is a drive down Dove Street off North Forest Beach Road. The most spectacular Christmas lights ever.

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head
Recent Conversations