We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in mid -September

Kansas
8 posts
Save Topic
Vacation in mid -September

Our family will be vacationing on Hilton Head the 2nd week of September. Our children are 2 and 4. Any suggestions for activities/dining/things to avoid would really be appreciated! I read on one of the posts traffic is terrible on Saturdays, is that still the case in mid-September?

usa
Level Contributor
910 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in mid -September

What a wonderful time to go! All the older kids will be back in school. I love HH off season!! There's a tiny little waterpark attached to the comfort inn. I'm not sure it'll be open but it would be perfect for your age children.

BYW, the best pizza on the island is Delvecchios - in the Fresh Market plaza. Their calzones are excellent, too. As a joke I said I was bringing everyone home a Delvecchio calzone. Can you imagine receiving a calzone as a souvenir?

You'll be tempted to try pasquale's (spelling!) but don't. The pizza is mediocre, they're too crowded but they advertise heavily.

usa
Level Contributor
910 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in mid -September

One other thing, if it's your style, rent bikes. They're inexpensive and the region is hyperflat so pedalling is no problem. You can get the little kid cart, too. There's alot of places that rent them. The last time we rented them four bikes for a week, with helmet rental, came to $130. How can you beat that? My kids love riding to the beach.

The Westin has a seafood buffet that we enjoy. I'm not into the all you can eat aspect, I like the variety. They have no problem accomodating small children. I've enjoyed it more than a lot of the island restaurants. Call to find out the price because I can't remember it.

USA
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in mid -September

I agree with the other poster on the Weston Buffett.....it's great and well worth the price.

Other restaurants that we frequent and enjoy:

Frankie Bones

Marley's

Hemingways

Old Oyster Factory

Alexanders

Good Luck!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in mid -September

We usually try to be thru Bluffton by noon on Saturdays. If you do that it is not bad. Traffic in Sept will be lighter than in July, but it is still a heavier traffic time. Just relax & think about the great week you will have once you get there!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation in mid -September

MikeV101 are you an employee of the SERG group. Every restaurant on your list is one of theirs :-).

Seriopusly they are good restaurants, but also look at the list at inside hilton head. Youll find a link at a sticky on the top of the hilton head forum.

Also with young children, visit "The Sandbox", our childrens museaum on Pope Avenue.

Stan (hhiguy)

USA
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation in mid -September

hhiguy,

I know...it's funny how those restaurants are all owned by the same group....but no, I am not an employee...they all have great atmospheres and we love the food.....

Kansas
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation in mid -September

Hey hhiguy -

what does the weather look like for next week? The weather.com 10 day forecast doesn't look too good.

Thanks!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation in mid -September

There seems to be some trouble with Trip advisor. I've tried posting this several times. This time I hope it get through, but since the last posting was two days ago, I'm doubtgul.

We are looking at TS Florence but it sure looks like it won't come near here.

Also since you have little ones. You might want to go to the Sandbox, our childrens museum at 18A Pope avenue. It's just great for kids 8 years old and younger.

Stan (hhiguy)

Kansas
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation in mid -September

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. Our week of vacation was great. It only rained on Wednesday, so we headed to the Sandbox that morning. Will certainly be returning to Hilton Head.

10. Re: Vacation in mid -September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, August 22, 2009