We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip To Savannah

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip To Savannah

How long does it take to drive there?

What is the best way to take the most in, in one day, with 3 kids... 4, 6 and 8.

Any special days that have farmer's markets (like the Saturday one in Charleston)?

Thanks for the info... It will be our first time there.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
419 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip To Savannah

Takes us about 45-50 minutes from Palmetto Dunes to Savannah. We take Rt. 46 through Bluffton... beautiful ride... before eventually connecting with Rt 17 into Savannah. Park at the visitor's center (old train station). I think it's only a $1-$2 an hour as I recall.

Multiple trolley options, but I think one with on/off privileges will give you the most in one day, and not wear out anyone with nonstop walking. Our favorite is the Old Towne Trolley (orange and green). They're not the cheapest, but I think they give the best tour.

Check online for downtown events. There always seems to be something happening in the historic squares, from farmers markets to art exhibits to food tastings to music. Enjoy!

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip To Savannah

It's about 45 minutes via 278 and 17. You can also go I-95, but we like to avoid the highway. Lots to do and see in Savannah. You should post in the Georgia forum for suggestions on activities for younger children. I would suggest you try the farmers market in Bluffton, SC on Thursdays from 2pm - 7pm. It's highly renowned, and only 10-15 minutes off HHI. Link is below, have a great visit.

http://www.farmersmarketbluffton.org/

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip To Savannah

I agree with the first post that taking 46 through Bluffton is a really scenic drive, very dark at night though.

Boston
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip To Savannah

YDYconneticut describe everything perfectly, we also use Old Towne Trolley I recently checked the cost for adults and it was $26 per person, not sure about children cost, it is well worth the cost to get a great tour guide being able to get on and off when you want and not having to drive in downtown Savannah not knowing where you are going.

Enjoy your stay

5. Re: Day Trip To Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 30, 2015