We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visit- Some info needed

NYC
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
First Time Visit- Some info needed

Hi-

My husband and I (mid 30s) are thinking about taking a trip to Hilton Head at the end of May (post Memorial Day) for our babymoon. I am looking into hotels now and I am having trouble deciding- Omni, Westin or Sonesta? I read the plantation sticky and it seems that the Westin is the most secluded. However, if we rent a car, does that really matter? If we wanted to head to another area of the island for dinner, etc, is that pretty standard, easy parking etc?

Basically we are looking for a relaxing 4 days- I want to go to the Spa, eat some good meals, hang on the beach. Which hotel has the nicest beach?

Also, what would be some ideas for some mellow activities (since I am pregnant, I am limited in what I will be able to do)- definitely would want to take a day trip to Savannah, any other must-sees, dos, etc?

Thanks so much for any info.

JK

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visit- Some info needed

You will definitely want to rent a car regardless of where you stay. The island is 12 miles long and 5 miles wide, and while there are 60 miles of bike paths, a car is most helpful. There are restaurants throughout the island ranging from casual and family friendly to more upscale (although nobody really gets very dressed up here- not like NYC upscale). More specific restaurant info can be found at: www.hhidining.com.

All the major hotels on the island are excellent. I especially like the Sonesta in Shipyard Plantation. It was renovated a year ago and is very upscale with lots of amenities. They do have a spa (as does the Westin and Marriott in Palmetto Dunes).

Lots of mellow activities available on the island including tours through the Coastal Discovery Museum (www.coastaldiscovery.org), miniature golf, reading on the beach or at the pool, shopping, browsing Harbortown, Shelter Cove, Coligny, etc. A dolphin tour might also be fun. A good website for activities is: www.101thingshhi.com.

Enjoy.

Joanne

Hilton Head Island
Level Contributor
73 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visit- Some info needed

I agree with Bearsfan, a rental car is a must. There is so much to do and so many places to try for lunch / dinner and since your eating for two why not right?

Dolphin tour for sure, trolly tour in Savannah would work great for you. A stroll around Coligny, or Harbour town.

Try Sage Room or Charlies for a nice dinner. You could even do a kayak tour and have your husband do all the paddling, just make sure to choose a company that will take you in protected waters only.

3. Re: First Time Visit- Some info needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 02, 2015