We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Head in January? Golf?

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harlingen,TX
Level Contributor
835 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Head in January? Golf?

You locals, or January visitors, how's the golf in January? Is it too cold? I know that even in November we've had frost delays a few mornings, where the course has to wait for the sun to melt frost on the greens a little before letting people out. Does this happen a lot? Or worse, do a lot of courses close for maintenance in January?

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Head in January? Golf?

No courses of which I am aware close in January (or anytime, unless they are undergoing renovations). Winter temperatures are unpredictable, but we do play golf all 12 months here. I typically book a late morning tee time and occasionally, times will get delayed if there is frost in the early morning. I wear layers and often a vest.

Depending on how long you are visiting, there are often good golf deals (some are multiple tee times). Many will be advertised in the Island Packet newspaper. Rates are usually less expensive December-February.

Joanne

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Head in January? Golf?

Most days in January are in the sixties, though we do have abnormalities like the seventies or fifties from time to time.

Most of our fairways are Bermuda grass, which tends to turn brown in the colder months. The golf course greens people, will over seed in the fall with rye grass, to retain the green on the fairways. Yes, we do golf year round.

Stan (hhiguy)

Everywhere
Level Contributor
181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Head in January? Golf?

We took a last second trip in January to HHI. We left Pittsburgh at 8 pm and it was 25 degrees. We were all wearing winter coats. The kids were sleeping in the car seats with their coats and hats on. Pulled into Ray's cafe at 10 AM and it was 80 degrees and sunny. I think it was a Wednesday. By Friday it was in the 50's but still it was nice to be in 80 degrees in January.

I don't golf tbh but I like that HHI caters to golfers because that means they keep the community clean and respectable.

4. Re: Hilton Head in January? Golf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 13, 2014