We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for a birthday dinner?

Massachussets
Level Contributor
370 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for a birthday dinner?

My husband is taking me out for a kid free birthday dinner tomorrow night & a birthday dinner the next night with the kids (ages 6, 9 & 11). Any suggestions for good places to go? We're staying in Sea Pines. I love seafood but my husband is a landlubber so need a little bit of both on the menu. Would like somewhere romantic but not stuffy. For the kid night would love somewhere fun possibly with live music.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for a birthday dinner?

I am really interested in any input you get on this because we are also here in HHI and I am looking for a good place for a birthday celebration dinner for my husband that also would appeal to our three kids (ages 10, 8, and 5). Husband loves both steak and seafood; kids palates range from highly experimental to wont-eat-anything-but-peanut-butter-and-corn-dogs. I have heard a lot of recommendations for Skull Creek Boathouse (beautiful setting, excellent food - both seafood and steak, and good kids menu but I have also heard here and elsewhere the wait can be long and the service questionable). Lowcountry Backyard comes with some really excellent reviews but while there are foods my picky oldest daughter might actually like, getting her to try them might be tough. Let us know where you land.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for a birthday dinner?

Hudsons, for a casual type place, great views, has a good mix of seafood and land food as well.

Old Fort Pub for the very fancy place out (don't bring kids), may be a bit too stuffy for you guys though, not sure.

Maybe check out Sunset Grille as well for the no-kids night. Its in an RV park but its fantastic, its waterfront, great views and some very nice food.

For the kid night, since your in Sea Pines, there's always the Salty Dog, I really like Kenny B's as well, kids would have fun there I think too.

NJ
Level Contributor
241 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for a birthday dinner?

My husband and I really enjoyed Ombra at the Village at Wexford:

http://www.ombrahhi.com/

We have great Italian restaurants in New Jersey and I normally would not recommend an Italian restaurant in the south (no offense intended!) but we were very pleasantly surprised. Nice atmosphere for a couple as well, though there is no view. We also enjoyed Ela's at Shelter Cove (nice water view, great food). We did not care for Old Fort Pub - too much like eating at a country club and way too fussy. While I love high-end restaurants,when I ask for a substitution on a side I don't want a snooty "the chef has specifically composed this flavor palate and we do not make substitutions". I also found the Creme Anglais on a dessert tasted sour.

4. Re: Restaurant for a birthday dinner?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 10, 2014