We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Company

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Company

We've spent the last 4 winters on HHI, mainly renting on VRBO. I'm searching for a villa for next winter, and have received less than a 50% response rate from VRBO. I've searched this forum for rental companies and came up with a few different ones to call upon.

I know that Sunset Rentals had negative reviews, but couldn't find any recent reviews for them. Does anyone know if they're still pretty bad, or have they improved? It seems they have a lot of rentals, but am afraid I'll end up regretting it because of the issues they've had.

Any opinions?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Company

I can't comment on the Sunset Rentals but I would tell you that I have dealt several times with The Vacation Company and I have been extremely pleased with them. We have booked through them several times and actually booked with them for our September trip later this year. No hesitation to highly recommend them.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Company

I've also heard good things about Island Getaway.

What area or plantation are you interested in?

Edited: 3:30 pm, July 09, 2013
NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Company

We usually stay in Palmetto Dunes, but wanted to try Shipyard for something different. We don't care for the big oceanfront buildings, but prefer a townhome/villa.

The reason I asked about Sunset Rentals is because they seem to have more availability than the other companies.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Company

I'm surprised to hear you are getting such poor response on VRBO. I'm upset if I don't send a response the same day.... Before I purchased a condo at HHI I rented from Hilton Head Rentals and Golf many times and never had any complaints. Never rented outside Palmetto Dunes so not sure what their inventory is for Shipyard.

Boston
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Company

We use both Trident Villa Rentals, however they only rent units in Shelter Cove and Palmetto Dunes, and Island Getaway and have been happy with both agencies.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Company

One of your problems is that snowbirds generally rent before they leave town in March. they also tend to rent the same unit, year after year. Another problem some of the rentals are being used by the owners during the winter, so the homes, and villas are owner occupied.

I second the use of the Vacation company or Island Getaway, as these are IMHO the best on the island.

Stan (hhiguy)

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Company

If you're looking for a townhouse in Shipyard, I would recommend either Tennismaster or Shipmaster villas (I live in Shipyard so know the plantation well). The 3 bedroom units have a first floor master suite and 2 bedrooms, 2 baths on the 2nd floor. They are fairly spacious, close to 1900 sq ft. The 2 bedroom units have both bedrooms on the 2nd floor. I know VRBO is showing some availability for winter, but don't know if those listings are ones you already contacted. If you call a rental company on the island, check to see if they have listings for these villas. While these villas are not ocean front, they are a short walk or bike ride to the beach.

Feel free to PM me with any Shipyard questions.

Joanne

Edited: 1:37 pm, July 10, 2013
NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Company

Thanks for all the info. HHIguy - we usually do have something lined up before we leave HHI in March. We thought we would go to FL instead in 2014, but had sticker shock with the condo prices.

Texarkana, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Company

We used Resort Quest for many years before we discovered VRBO They have a standard for their properties that we found to be good. Always clean,in good repair and easy check in and out. However, they add on a lot of extra charges that you miss with VRBO. I would not rent any other way since using them for the past 6 years. Keep trying! You might check the 30-A area in the panhandle of Florida. We love Sea Grove. There are affordable rentals right on the beach. It is beautiful. Sand and water can not be beat.

cincinnati
Level Contributor
116 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Company

I have also had some bad luck with getting prompt responses and next time will try calling the owner if I dont hear back within a few days Most owners have their number posted.