We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

Hi, we will be in HHI for July 4th and are wondering if the fireworks show is better at Harbour Town or at Shelter Cove. Thanks for any input.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

Just to complicate things, there are fireworks at Skull Creek, too. Wherever you go, it will be crowded so get there early. Think the shows are equally spectacular so it's probably just a matter of where you want to hang out that evening.

FYI- Tybee island does its fireworks show on July 3rd each year. If you head out to one of the beaches along the south end of HHI, you can sit on the beach and see the fireworks in the sky. Obviously, not as good as being up close, but I did that last year and it was not bad at all.

Joanne

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

Went to Harbor Town 2 years ago for the 4th. Took the trolley up in order to avoid the traffic (there is still a lot of traffic that day no matter where you go). We spread out a blanket on the grass and enjoyed the great fireworks show.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

We went to Harbour Town last year, showed up around 6pm to find a spot - it was already pretty crowded. Lots of fun, good atmosphere, the shuttle bus from the parking area was very convenient on the way in but afterward was a total disaster. People stood in line for hours to catch the busses back to the lots - not sure if this is typical or not but it was awful. We will go back for the fireworks but will definitely make other arrangements to get there & back.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

Do people shoot amateur fireworks down near the beach? Is it legal there to do that? We've got a 3 year old and I don't want to get in this mess with him of waiting in lines and it taking a long time to get back to our place after the fireworks. Could we just take him for a walk on the beach that night and see people doing their own thing?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

Getting out of Harbour Town is a complete nightmare. Last yr. we were the ones waiting hours - really hours - for a trolley ride up to the Monarch. People were pushing to get into trolleys. I actually couldn't believe how incredibly bad it was. They know it will be like that ever year. I don't know why they can't do a better job at planning an exit. We are there again this year and not really sure what we are going to do. I can't imagine trying to drive in there either.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

To answer the question about privately shooting fireworks on the beach, Don't do it!

In South Carolina it is legal to buy any kind of fireworks including exploding fireworks, like firecrackers and cherry bombs. However it is illegal to set them off on the beach in Hilton Head. There is a huge fine if caught.

On July fourth, Beach patrol is out in full force, and will ticket you if caught, Besides it also violates the law regarding turtle nests.

Stan (hhiguy)

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

OK so a follow up. I don't necessarily want to take the 3 year old to one of the organized 4th of July shows because of traffic and, honestly, he's crazy and will be running everywhere. So I'm thinking just going down to the beach for sunset and a picnic is probably the best idea given my situation.

Is there any beach area that offers a distant view of the fireworks? Shelter Cove and Broad Creek are more on the inland side of the island instead of the beachfront area. Where do they shoot the fireworks for Harbor Town? Are they visible on parts of Forest Beach area beachfront?

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

There are no fireworks on the Beach! Think Turtles! All the fireworks are on the Inter-coastal side.

SeaPines - Calibogue Bay

PD Area - Shelter Cove

North Island - Inter-coastal

Stan (hhiguy)

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

Thank you, Stan, for reinforcing the danger of fireworks to the Sea Turtles- you know how hard I try to educate folks about Sea Turtle Protection.

Not sure if this will help any Michael, but on July 3rd, Tybee Island does their fireworks display (not sure why it is a day earlier). Last year I sat out on the Shipyard beach and could see them in the distance (look out toward the south end of the island). They were pretty fun to see and almost no crowds on the beach.

Joanne

Edited: 10:44 am, June 27, 2013
10. Re: Where to go for July 4th Fireworks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 29, 2014