We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks and Bears??

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kentucky
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sharks and Bears??

Well, as I'm packing my suitcases this morning for my trip to Hilton Head late tonight, I see on CNN headline news that a shark has bitten a little girl and that a bear got loose around some condos??

Does anyone know which beach the little girl was at and is she alright? Also, where was the bear? Kind of looked like Shipyard from the newscast, but it's so hard to tell. I knew Stan probably had the skinny on the whole ordeal; national news only gives the basics.

Also, what's the weather supposed to be like for the week? Typically hot and sunny with the afternoon shower? I HOPE SO!!

Thanks for your help!

London, UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks and Bears??

Not sure about the bear but I looked on the island packet and this is an extract from it:

A little girl's shark bite Wednesday didn't keep throngs of beachgoers away from Coligny Beach on Thursday, though some admitted feeling a bit leery about stepping into the water.

The 7-year-old continued to receive treatment Thursday for puncture wounds to her left foot and buttocks at Hilton Head Regional Medical Center. Amy B. Wallis said her daughter will be all right, but declined to discuss the incident with the media.

The girl was bitten while playing in water about 2 feet deep near the Breakers resort area of Coligny Beach around 3:45 p.m. Wednesday, the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office said.

Such incidents are rare on Hilton Head Island -- the last occurred in 2001 when an 11-year-old boy was bitten while swimming off Coligny Beach. His wounds required 37 stitches.

Still, some people on the beach Thursday said they were being more alert.

The weather forecast is HOT!!

Have a great break.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks and Bears??

I know about the shark attack, but the Bear???

However this was Animal Planet week on the island.

Check out this story from the "Island Packet"

islandpacket.com/news/…5795583p-5177866c.html

The Picture is great also. One of my co-workers has made it her screensaver on her office computer.

Today David Lauderdale (local Columnist) devoted his story to snake tales.

Stan (hhiguy)

kentucky
Level Contributor
370 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks and Bears??

Thank you both so much for your info!! I can't wait to get there tomorrow afternoon!!! I'm off to check out the story!

Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks and Bears??

Lions and tiger (sharks) and bears; oh my!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Have fun in Hilton Head and here's wishing you NO shark bites.

ohio
Level Contributor
587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks and Bears??

Last time we were in Hilton Head they were catching some sharks fishing from the shore. I've heard that most shark attacks occur in 3 ft. of water or less.

Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks and Bears??

Holdem, I heard that too about the shallow water.

A guy last year from Wisconsin got bit by a nurse shark snorkeling in knee deep water in the Fla Keys. He didn't even feel it; his buddy who witnessed it said oh my gosh you're bleeding. It was a small nurse shark. The bite was actually quite superficial but when it flipped over its fin cut him under his armpit and he needed around 100 stitches. Wierd!!

I've also heard its worse in the warmer months as they come closer to shore? Not sure if that's true or not.

London, UK
Level Contributor
220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks and Bears??

Hi Stan, the alligator story made the 'English' papers yesterday in one of the tabloid papers under the heading 'Someone's at the Gator'. It's on my wall. Lee

ohio
Level Contributor
587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks and Bears??

Remember everyone to do the sting ray shuffle while in the water.

Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks and Bears??

I learned about the sting ray shuffle too when in Mexico!

We saw cool white and black spotted ones there.

I never saw them on HHI, just some really ugly huge gold jellyfish!

Raleigh
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks and Bears??

We just returned from hilton Head . I am so glad I did not see the news about the shark. I would have been so worried all week with all three of my kids in the ocean.

The bear thing is really funny becasue we kept complaining about how the squirrels kept getting into our trash. Maybe it was a bear since we were staying in Shipyard!