We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Commerce Township...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

I have been to Hilton Head 3 times and stayed somewhere different each time. We love HH, but just can't seem to find that perfect place. I would like a timeshare or hotel because I have two daughters (5 and 9) who love the activities and the other kids nearby. I am considering one of the Marriott properties this time - they seem noticably higher in price than most of the other timeshares I can find... Can anyone tell me if they are worth it?? I seem to be finding mixed reviews. Thanks!

ohio
Level Contributor
587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

The Marriott Grande Ocean is probably the best resort on the island.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

That is an interesting question. Marriott has one hotel and about eight timeshares on this island. Of the timeshares the company only developed five themselves. They have management contracts on the others.

The timeshares they developed in order of development are

The Monarch in Sea pines

The Heritage Club at Harbortown

The Grand Ocean in South Forest Beach

The Barony at Port Royal

The Sea Watch at Folly Field

The last isselling units at this time , and there may be some Barony Units left.

They also manage Sunset and Harbor Pointe at Shelter Cove, and the Harbour Club in Sea pines. They recently lost their contract to manage Swallowtail in Sea Pines.

As Timeshares go, Marriott developed timeshare projects are a cut above most of the other developers out there. The Company is the major stockholder in II which is why you never see a Marriott in the RCI system.

That being said, you can get a much better deal renting one of the many condos on the island. While "Holdem" may have his preference for Grande Ocean, I would put the SeaCrest Resort as the equal to Grande Ocean. You can rent a unit there for less than what you pay for a week at Grande Ocean. In fact Marriott itself used the SeaCrest for about five years while they developed Barony and sold out Grande Ocean.

There are OceanFront condos in Palmetto Dunes which are also the equal to the Marriott properties. In Sea Pines the Turtle Bay Club which is near the Monarch and the South Beach Tennis Villas are also Top Notch. Turtle Bay is the only one which may have a price range equal to the Marriotts, but the units are huge.

The Marriott Hotel and Beach Club is in Palmetto Dunes, and is a full service Hotel. While Marriott has their name on the door, they also manage it only. It was owned for many years by GE, who originally had a contract with Hyatt, but changed to Marriott about eight years ago. Earlier this year GE sold the hotel to new owners.

I would suggest also that you take your children to "The Sandbox", our new childrens museum on Pope Avenue, and to the Coastal Discovery Museum, which sponsors Turtle walks at this time of the year. Hilton Head is a destination for the Loggerhead Sea Turtle who come ashore at night this time of the year to lay their eggs. The museum provides tours to find nests and teach the very unique nature of these sea creatures.

Stan (hhiguy)

Commerce Township...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

Hi Stan,

Thank you so much. We have not done the museum or the turtle tour - the girls will love it. I printed your response and I am on the hunt for one of the timeshares you mentioned. Any ideas other than the usual travel websites? Is there a local broker you suggest I contact?

Thanks again!

marlboro new jersey
Level Contributor
172 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

Any updated information on Marriott Sea Watch, I don't see any recent postings and have a reservation there for Spring 2007. Last time we stayed at the Grande Ocean. It was great. I realize beach access will not be as good, but the amenities look great. Any thoughts?

ohio
Level Contributor
587 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

The Shore Crest is also very nice. I do think the Grande Ocean may be a better fit with kids. They have many activities for kids.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

what are the current selling prices for a 2 bedroom lock off in any of the marriott timeshare properies in HHI?

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

bump for hhiguy

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

I saw on another website that Marriott is asking around $50K for a Barony oceanfront platinum (June - Aug) week.

Stan (hhiguy)

Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

We own two Marriott Timeshares, one in Florida and the other in Hilton Head. The HHI resort is named Surf Watch, not Sea Watch and it is the newest Marriott resort. 3 buildings have been completed and two more are planned with sales taking place now. Surf Watch is set back from the beach a bit because of the marsh but they have a boardwalk connecting the buildings in addition to a beachfront pool and bar which is right on the edge of the sand. The buildings vary in price and view. The closest one is Ocean Side and is on the edge of the marsh. The other two have Ocean View rooms which are priced higher than the Courtyard view. The entire resort will have no more than 5 buildings plus 3 pools. The indoor pool is now under construction due to open in Feb. 2007. The rooms are great! they have the newest amenities and are very comfortable. We were told that South Carolina does not allow lock-offs so there are none on the Marriott properties on the island.

Regarding prices, I'm not sure about current rates but as of last September, the costs ranged from $14,000 to over $25,000. The prices are highest for the summer season but there are great prices for the spring and fall seasons. Last year, Marriott had resales available at Barony Beach but that is an older resort and only involved the courtyard views.

The beauty of the Marriott ownership for us is the flexibility of exchanging it to travel anywhere we like. We can also choose Marriott points every other year instead of useage and the points rewards are great.

So if you will travel to HHI every year and plan to do it in the summer, the price will be high and you should compare all properties. But if you like the resort activities and amenities, as well as future flexibility, I would highly recommend the Marriott purchase. The prices only continue to climb so the value of the ownership increases also. We have no regrets for our two ownerships and plan to use both of them for many years to come.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timeshares - Are the Marriott properties worth the money??

Wow, Less than five years old, and the Barony is an older property!!

The Marriott sales people are GOOD!

What the previous poster failed to point out, though they may not have known is that if you buy your Marriott timeshare from anyone else, you don't get all the benefits like the ability to exchange for marriott points.

I personally think that may be a great basis for a class action, but I won't be part of the class.

We have friends who own at Grande Ocean, and the Barony. They have tried to exchange to Aruba, and even though they are Grande Ocean Charter members. They were unable to exchange into that facility.

So, Caveat Emptor

Stan (hhiguy)