We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

United States
Level Contributor
330 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

My husband and I plan to visit HHI for the first time this summer WITHOUT our kids. It will be a short, 4-day, trip. Our priorities are something on/near the ocean, quiet, secluded, with a natural setting if possible. We'd love to spend time on the beach, biking, kayaking, and eating good food. Please help steer us in the right direction as the choice of accommodations is a bit overwhelming! Thank you!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

Trying to find a place on HHI that won't have kids will be hard. Since it's only four days, you'll likely have to stay in a hotel. Try Barony Beach or Omni maybe.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

I found the Harbourside III in Shelter Cove very quite with an older age group. Whatever children were there we're respectful, and quiet, and appeared to be under very good parental supervision. The condos face the Harbour and it's very peaceful to watch the boats, dolphins, and birds. Nights - up to about 10 pm - can be a little crowded, but the units are well insulated, so just close your balcony door if it's disturbing. Many of the units have large jacuzzi tubs in the bedroom. Some only have them in the bathroom. There's also a jacuzzi and pool outside that's very private. It seems that most are golfing or at the beach and very few go to the pool. Of all the units I've been to, and I've been going for over 30 years, Harbourside III has the least options for children.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

If you are coming in the summer for only 4 days, it will be challenging to find a private villa owner who will rent for less than a full week. Given that, you may need to consider one of the hotels. I personally like the Westin and the beach area I find to be one of the best. It is wider (due to the beach renourishment project in 2012) and you can find lots of less crowded areas if you are willing to walk north . Mostly private homes up that way as opposed to "resorts."

The Sonesta in Shipyard is looking like it may be the premier hotel on the island once completed this spring, but the beach there, while fantastic to me, will be more crowded.

Hope this helps.

Joanne

United States
Level Contributor
330 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

Thanks all!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

How important is the beach to you? If you could get by with your other requests, still be close or on the water, and perhaps go to the beach for a day or so, then your options open up quite a bit. While HHI is great, the weekly rental issue can be a bit problematic. I'll give you two off-HHI options to think about which do not require weekly rentals. Both are 30 minutes from actual Atlantic beaches.

Across the sound from HHI, you have Palmetto Bluff which is an absolutely beautiful place (inn or private home rentals) but is also very pricey. If you are interested in history, perhaps consider staying in nearby Beaufort at a house rental on Cat Island or Dataw Island. While neither place is entirely kid free, they are less crowded and are generally more mature in the age groups and visitors they attract.

Edited: 4:23 pm, March 08, 2013
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

And JoAnn mentioned the Sonesta will be the premier hotel when it opens in May. It is in Shipyard plantation and a walk from the beach and right next to the Vandermeer tennis center if you're into that. I wrote a post the about a construction tour that I took of the facility and you can find it further down on the forum.

Here are a couple places you might want to try in the Sea Pines are. Both are in Harbortown.

1- the Harbor Town club. This is the older of the two and is a timeshare but I do believe as they rent it out as a hotel. You will be in the middle of the Harbor town and can walk to restaurants and shopping. You can also take an old-fashioned trolley up to the beach or bike there very easily.

2 - The Inn at Harbour town. This was built just a few years ago and is situated right next to the Harbor town tennis club. It is a boutique hotel and fairly fancy but quite a romantic place to stay.

Stan (hhiguy)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

And I wouldn't really look at Marriott's Barony Beach Club. It now has a big pool with a waterpark theme to it at the Garden Villas. Getting more and more families there now.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

In general, all the timeshares are very family oriented on the island during peak season weeks, so if your goal is to avoid lots of children, you're best not to consider any timeshare.

Joanne

United States
Level Contributor
330 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

Took a quick look at the Inn at Harbourtown, which looks great and is a good rate at $255/night. Any other hotels you would recommend? Thanks!

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for romantic quiet adult accommodations

Just keep in mind that the Inn is not on the beach- it is on Calibogue sound (although I do not believe you can actually see the sound from any of the windows as it is on the far side of Harbortown). While it is not a swimming area , there are lots of water sports available from the docks there. It would be about 15 minutes to beach access, depending upon how you traveled (car, bike, foot).

Joanne