We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can one walk around the "heel" from PR Sound to the ocean?

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can one walk around the "heel" from PR Sound to the ocean?

Hello, I will be visiting HHI for the first time this July and look forward to experiencing the different types of beaches -- sandy/swimming, wildlife, etc.

I was wondering if it's possible to walk continuously along the shore from Mitchellville Beach on Port Royal Sound, going around the "heel" of the island, until reaching the true Atlantic shore? What I see on Google maps satellite view is confusing me...

Also, I'm a landlocked northerner ignorant of sea life (or sound life). Are their more, fewer, or the same amount of sting rays, jellyfish, and sharks on the Sound versus an Atlantic beach? I'm guessing yes since I hear the Sound is so rich in wildlife, but it's just a guess.

If a person wants to just wade/shuffle slowly (not swim!) no more than waist deep, in the sea... would that be wiser in the Sound, or in the Atlantic, or is there no real safety difference?

Don't worry about alarming me, I'd rather be prepared. :) I just want to enjoy the beach safely. I plan to do any actual swimming in the pool.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Can one walk around the "heel" from PR Sound to the ocean?

It's a fascinating contrast to the beach at the sole of the island. My wife and I do a great ride around the island from Sea Pines on the beach cross the inlet at low tide, down to Port Royal then at low tide we ride as far as we can toward the Port Royal Spa access. We pass that and get to the small inlet full of Pluff Mud. There is a makeshift crossing, but have shoes you can wash off. After that we ride along the walking beach behind Hilton Head Plantation finally going into the plantation using their boardwalk. After stopping for lunch at Skull Creek we meander back to Sea Pines via Spanish Wells Road. A great adventure using bikes and ends up being around 23 miles. If that meets your definition of fun, I highly recommend it. The beer at the Boathouse is extra refreshing.

Everywhere
Level Contributor
181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Can one walk around the "heel" from PR Sound to the ocean?

ngwaltne1, That sounds like a perfect day.

To my good friend Jeff, the story sounds better if i say "swamp." What sounds more daring and hardcore, "swamp" or "pluff mud?" Let me have my illusion!!!! I might be down there soone than later. If the financials ring true after my due dilligence I MIGHT buy a biz down there. We'll see.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Can one walk around the "heel" from PR Sound to the ocean?

Although, you can sink deeper in pluff mud than a swamp.....

Everywhere
Level Contributor
181 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Can one walk around the "heel" from PR Sound to the ocean?

Tried it again this morning. Gave up at the pluff mud spot that I fell in last year. I think if I was willing to walk/wade through the intertidal pockets of water it could be done. One of these days.......

15. Re: Can one walk around the "heel" from PR Sound to the ocean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 04, 2014